• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LAN freezes when trying to browse clients computers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

desipher

Registered
first let me tell you the setup:

host computer: Windows xp pro w/ netgear starter kit ethernet card
client: Windows xp pro / netgear starter kit ethernet card

Hub: Netgear SB104 starter kit 10mbs

problem: this is a weird problem ive always had with my LAN for a LONG time now, its happened ever since ive installed windows xp, when I had windows 98,it NEVER happened.

Basically, whenever I goto "my network neighborhood" and then try to view workgroup computers, and then try to connect to the other computer on my LAN, it will FREEZE right there. this used to rarely happen, but as of late it wont let me browse other computers on the lan, PERIOD. its extremely frusterating, and I want to fix the problem but im stumped. Im not very good in the field of networking.

I do realize its not the best hub/network cards, its only 10mbs,but it gets the job done for ICS.

Anyone know how to fix this problem? ive looked all over the internet for help but no luck :(

ALSO: when I get this fixed, how is it possible to view program files via network with windows xp? it never let me do that either.

it doesn't really freeze, it's just that in xp, Microsoft has implemented another useless thing into network browsing. When a XP machine attempts to access a network share, XP views all the scheduled tasks on that specific host. You can, in the registry, however, delete this from happening which would tremendously cut back on network access share time. This is how you do it...

http://www.tweakxp.com/display.aspx?id=526

Cheers!

Now thats what I wanted to hear! Totally fixed the problem! Thanks for the help roYal :D

Also: What about my program files? They are still inaccessable.

K, let me explain file sharing. IN Windows XP, when you do workgroup sharing, every computer stores its' own SAM (Security Accounts Manager). What this means, is that every computer on your workgrouped network, must store a copy of every username/password on every computer. So if you had a user named Joe, you would have to also create that username on every other computer. By default, in workgroup setup, you have simple file sharing on. For workgroup reasons, this is sufficient. All you have to do is, right click the folder you want to share, click properties, click on sharing tab, enable the share, and you can specify the share permissions from there. If you wish to disable simple file sharing, you can open any folder, goto tools > folder options > view tab, and uncheck simple file sharing. This will unleash ntfs security. Now, when you right click a folder and then click properties, you'll get a security tab. NTFS are very powerful, and remember this rule, DENY always overides ALLOW.

Note (A good tip to know). By default, there is a GPO (Group Policy Object) that denys access to network users to a share if their username doesn't have a password set. This GPO is located at > start > run > gpedit.msc > computer configuration > windows settings > security settings > local polcies > security options > and 3rd GPO in the list (Limit Local Account Use of blank passwords to console logon only). So basically, if you set this to disable, you can logon to a share if your username has no password set.

If you need more help with file sharing, let me know. Oh ya, 1 more thing, if the other computer's workgroup name is set differently, you can enable guest account, and then you'll be able to access the network share. To set the workgroup, right click my computer > properties > computer name tab > click "change" button, and change your workgroup name.

Hope this helps!

ill never have a wireless network, too much money :) thx for the help on file sharing again. These problems with windows xp I tell ya :( windows 98 was never this bad haha.

ok on my 3rd computer I just ran into a new problem :(

When trying to browse networks, instead of freezing/pausing the whole process will say "Program has stopped responding" and im forced to shut it off, and the whole computer is messed up and I must restart.

Any idea?

mtnbikerjerry said:
I could not recommend using blank paswords on a wireless network if this guy chooses to use one later on. That is a risk.

well, i would not recommend using blank passwords on any machine even if it's not connected to a network.. However, there are some users who don't care, which is why I included a how to.

Good post though, i should've added I do not recommend.

desipher said:
ok on my 3rd computer I just ran into a new problem :(

When trying to browse networks, instead of freezing/pausing the whole process will say "Program has stopped responding" and im forced to shut it off, and the whole computer is messed up and I must restart.

Any idea?

So, the other comptures can view that specific share, correct? If so, it seems the problem lies with that 3rd computer. Try running a chkdsk /f. I would also try defragmenting. If that fails, it seems like a file could be corrupt, a system file. You can pull out your windows, put it in your cdrom, goto a command prompt (start > run > cmd) or even (start > run) and type sfc /scannow. This should scan your system files and replace any corrupted system files. Hope this helps. Let us know if it fixes the problem. Also, you can try a chkdsk /R. The /R will locate bad sectors and try to recover readable information. This might help if there is a corrupted file, but its located on a sector that has become bad. Again, i hope this helps. Let us know if any of this fixes the problem.

tried what you told me to do on all 3 of my computers (just incase) and no problems were found..

This is so weird, I just want my network to be accessable :(

well you said that it only happened on 1 computer. You said the problem with the freezing was fixed due to removing that registry key i pointed you to. So wouldn't your network be accessible, just not from your 3rd computer? Now i'm confused. I need to know, what exactly is happening, what computer can access what, etc....

okay the original problem was on the 2 xp computers, the third computer on my network is running xp pro also, and i DIDNT do the registry trick to it, but it totally locked up the computer when trying to access the network, I can get as far as Network neighborhood>workgroup computers>Host Computer>C Drive and when I goto c drive thats where the computer stops responding.

Sorry for not pointing it out, I just hooked the 3rd computer up tonight.

just tried and it didnt fix, it still stops responding. The registry trick only works on my 2 main computers for some reason...

since this is probably going to be a 500 post uncessary post, im me on aol instant messenger and i'll help you fix the problem. icroyal is my aim name. Then we'll post the fix here for other people's knowledge.

Back