• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New F@H user needs help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BKPBS

I have a couple of questions to ask

-What are these flags I see people talking about and how do they make your computer run it faster?

-to pause or stop F@H do I just go to computer, right click, go to services and tell it to pause or stop so I can resume it if I turn off the computer then turn it back on again?

-I just noticed something came up when it was folding. It says "size of work/wudata_01.xtc not what saved" is that a bad thing
I just started my first WU and it was at 50000 of 500000

lastly I'm running it on a a7n8x 2700. tommorow I'm going to add a 2600 and I'm building a new computer to hold me off till 939 pin amd, so soon I'll have 3 computers folding part time under VIKING.

thanks!

BKPBS said:
I have a couple of questions to ask

-What are these flags I see people talking about and how do they make your computer run it faster?

"-advmethods -forceasm" these generally give computers work units that use SSE and therefore they do more work per clock cycle.

BKPBS said:
lastly I'm running it on a a7n8x 2700. tommorow I'm going to add a 2600 and I'm building a new computer to hold me off till 939 pin amd, so soon I'll have 3 computers folding part time under VIKING.

thanks!

Welcome to the team! good choice. Just remember it's Team 32 :)

-First off, welcome to the team :)

-Flags or switches as I like to call em, are just telling the application to do different things. The most common flags/switches you will hear about are hte -forceasm and -advmethods ones. -forceasm forces the CPU to use SSE (currently has stabliity problems w/AMD Tbred B's and bartons on the 3.25 beta client). -advmethods opts the client to donwload the Gromacs core and work units. Gromacs LOVE SSE, so if you have an intel or lucky SSE stable Tbred B/Braton then your in luck! Gromacs on SSE steroids are FAST. Thats where a lot of production points are, SSE.

-Dunno about that...but if it didn't go right it will download a new WU, and if it keeps doing that try deleting the core file and have it redl a new one.

-This would only be true if you have a service isntall (by downloading the service install, or by running Wedo's monster (;))One-Click.

Great to hear you will be adding more rigs...keep it up!

Fold and Frag on
Brian

Back