• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink & Fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KT

First timer here. I want to overclock my athlon although right now I want to get a good heatsink and fan first. I am currently running at 47-49 c on the fan that came with the board cpu combo. What are your recomendations??

Welcome to the Forum

What is your budget as this will effect what hsf is recommended

my budget is cheap. I am a college student. something up to $40-50. but the lower the better. I want something for beginners.

A GlobalWin WBK38 is anywhere from $30+ around the web. That should make a helluva difference with your temps. If your only running 700mhz and are up around 47C, you definatly need a bit better cooling, especially if your interested in overclocking.

Hope this helps!

KT,

I think you should try the Millenium Glaciator only $39.50, I think with shipping included. It got a good review at overclockers, see the review. I think it got a better review than my Swiftech mc462 which works great and cost $80+!!

KT I would suggest a Volcano 2 HSF dont wast your cash on one of those cool lookin super orbs as they are crap, when i got my new mobo and cpu last week i had both the super orb and the vocano 2 to try out and i found that with the super orb i couldnt even get a post @ 950 but the volcano had no worries doing 1060mhz and the volcano was onlu $35 australian dollars which is chump change over there in the U.S you could even whack on a faster fan for better results as i am going to do at the moment the fan it comes with is a 5000rpm 36cfm but im investing in a 6800 fan to see how low i can get the temp.

if your budget is low, go for a Global Win. The fop-32/38 is really cheap and not that bad, even though it's clip kinda sucks.

here you need to consider the temps the Athlons run.
a globalwin was great for a socket 7 or 370...
they are yesterdays coolers, however... as they don't dissipate enough for the current chips. the Swiftech is $80-90, way too much, in my book.

right now, the millennium is the only decent value.
$40 for a serious cooler... great deal... $10 more than a globalwin.
anything less will dissappoint. read the reviews of this bad boy on the front page to see specs as to why
Ed compares all of the best to give you straight poop.

well....the fop isn't really taht bad..it's not so good compared to the others but it works well enough with durons or bacially anything under 1000 stock
over that then i will have to agree that the fop is not as good

No no no... Thermoengine still sits at the top of HardOCP's list. Of course their roundup don't include Swiftech but that's different price range at more than double the price. And this copper core version of Thermoengine from Thermal Integration is showing better performance than original at only $20.

--BrianC

Heatsink & Fan ---SLOT A

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will take a look at some of those. I think I forgot to mention that my Athlon is Slot A not socket. I heard this was not as good? anyway, does this limit any of those HSF you all suggested?
KT

Back