• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

end mills - number of flutes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The more flutes the faster u can cut. But when i was using the 4 flute it would make a bigger hole when plunging for some reason. Where are u getting ur end mills anyways? i wana get a 1/32 if possible.

depends on how fast you're going to spin it, more flutes means you don't have to spin it as fast

also, start the hole with a drill bit slightly smaller in diameter than your end mill instead of just plunging it in, will end with a straighter sided cut that's not wallowed out at the top

I recommend a 2 flute spinning as fast as your machine will allow.

As for the place to get you EMs, jtsmachine.com is awesome! They've got the best price around, and a HUGE selection.

yup, tyrex knows whats up. and no, dont pre-drill the hole, just plunge the end mill right in.

4 flute end mills arent very good for copper, especially smaller end mills.

What kind of machine do you plan on using for this?
Jon

jtsmachine.com has so many choices, what should I get?

I'm not sure what kind of mill it is, and I haven't even gotten a good look at it yet. It's my grandpa's mill, and he says it has a max speed of about 3k rpm. That's really all I know right now. I might know more on Sunday, as we usually see them on Sundays.

my best advice: ask your grandfather for advice. If it's his milling machine, I'm assuming he knows how to use it. You cannot beat learning how to machine directly from a person.

My advice: Use a 2-flute endmill for most slotting cuts. 2-flutes clear chips better than 4-flutes.

Wait to see what type of collets you have access to before you buy tooling. You don't want to buy a tool that you don't have a collet for.

the thing that holds the end mill is the collet. ask him about it, have him teach you what you need to learn before going about doing it. I wouldng go any smaller than 1/8"

Jon

Back