• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4B533 Upping the FSB. Nth Bridge Cooling...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChazFx

Howdy.

Current system is the one in My sig. a 1.5G (Willy) running at 2Ghz.

And i had a thought.

This board works for up to the 533 P4's. So its FSB is made to run at up to 133, which its currently doing.
If i overclock my new 2.4b the FSB will be going higher than that, so the north bridge will be getting hotter than it was intended id presume.
Will this mean that the factory heatsink on the north bridge will need to be altered (ie. Lapping. eplaced. Fan added)? Is it a good idea to do so?

Cheers

I have been running my P4 1.8 at 155Mhz FSB for a year without even care about the northbidge cooling...

My Maximum OC with the P4B533 is @ 189Mhz FSB...one of the reasons that i couldn get higher could be the n/b heating problem (i got this fsb using a 200mhz P4 so the cpu is definetely NOT the problem...i cant blame the memory either cause during the testing i used the 4:3 divider so...my mobo its either just a bad P4B533 or it needs loads of Vagp and better n/b-s/b cooling)...

If i was going for the maximum fsb i could get I would just apply some Arctic Ceramique to the n/b and maybe i would install an active cooling system (or find a way to install a fan to the current heatskin)...

Good luck...

Thanks for that.

It hadnt even occured to me to apply the ceramique to the NB lol, to busy thiking of active cooling...

Brilliant, thanks :D

As long as i can keep the NB temp down i guess there isnt much stopping me from chucking a 'C' chip in is there...

Currently ive got the P4 2.4b @ 2.9ish (fsb 166) till i get the HS etc lapped and Ceramique applied. then im positive ill be able to get 3.2ish :D may have to set the ram to 4:3 though, as its only DDR333, and it wasnt liking an FSB of 180 (its the cheapest DDR i could find...)

Thanks again for your help :)

Dont mention it...

Applying a decent thermal compound upon the chipset instead of leaving the stupid gum (or cheapo thermal compound) is the simpler thing to do to improve the n/b cooling...

Arctic Ceramique seems to be almost ideal for this job cause you dont have to worry if it "leaks" to the near circuits (its 1000% electric conductor comparing to AS3)...just remember to apply only a small quantity of that...

Lol...dont worry about the ram...i still use my #$@# 266 Elixir @310Mhz...(no money-no honey)

Good luck with your project...

I hope your mobo is better than mine...(well, everybody else's seems to be :( )

I am really really impressed with my P4B533. i describe them to all my mates as S**t hot. Wouldnt hesitate to reccomend them.

Back