• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voltage Regulator cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AndrusLRoc

Tryin to decide if I should point a 80/90mm fan towards these. I pointed my raytek temp laser at it and I'm getting upwards of 64C on some of them, that seems hot to me, but I'm not sure what they are supposed to be anyhow. Wonder if I could get any more fsb from cooling them.

-Andy

The mosfets? (little black thingys). Yes that would be a good idea, or better yet slap on some HS's AND a fan:D (if you do a search of some sort on mosfet cooling you should be able to find quite a few pics of what people ahve done).

www.sidewindercomputers.com also has some mosfet sinks for sale, thogh they are a little expensive.

heh, I'm a little ahead of that, sorry, forgot to mention, I've already canabalized the ramsinks that come with thermaltake's cu ram heat spreaders, and I've put them on, I'm just wondering if I should get a fan blowing across them, The rest of my rig is watercooled, I dunno if I can handle puttin another fan in there, but I will if it'll get me some mo speed. :D

-Andy

Yes, definately put a fan blowing over them. Amazingly enough, it doesn't have to be blowing that much. When I first installed my MOSFET sinks, that sinks themselves got extremely hot. I jury rigged a 60mm stealth fan in there and the sinks went down to room temp.
Make sure to sink your clock gen chips as well - they're to the right and left of the block of MOSFETS, just feel around the chips when the system's running and you'll know which they are. They get real hot, especially pushing 220+...

erm, I see the clock gen chips, gonna be hard to sink them now. already got the mosfets sinked... hmmmm, may be time to tear it all down again to sink those. dunno if I mentioned it or not, but it is a nf7-s mobo

I put the fan that came with the retail boxed amd hsf on it, it's silent and cools them down a lot! Simple fix... now to see if it helped anything when I get my new pump and wb built.

-Andy

Back