• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD k6 2 3d 500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Glenzo

Hello All,

Heres hoping you can help, why is it some people can get there AMD 500 to 800MHZ and I can only get mine to 550 and even then it needs a whole 3volts and a vast heatsink to keep it half reliable.

Any tips on unlocking this processor would be great,

there is nothing "locked" about a k6-2
they just are'nt good overclockers.
my 450 got 560 and i'm told i'm lucky.
i've never talked to anyone who claimed a 300mhz O/C on a 500 K6-2 or any other K6-2, as it really isn't very realistic at all.

i do believe 3.0v is too much. the max it should have, i believe, is 2.8v
if you try the "search" function in the forums... and type in "K6-2"
you'll be given a ton of posts to read on the subject.

in the future, it helps to be specific on your hardware.
such as ... what mobo? what are your available jumper settings?
what do you have for a hsk/f? what are your temps?
and what other hardware is in the box?
(see "forum posting guidelines" thread in the general topic)
without this info, how could anyone give you ideas?
the only thing i could say is... try raising fsb and/or multiplyer.
however, with that voltage, your cooling probably isn't working.
and 550 is probably all you'll get.

K6-2 500 @ 800!!!!!!!!

NOOOOO!

Thats almost impossible. K6-2's do NOT overclock well. At best you may get a 75-100Mhz increase in the 500. With my K6-2 450 i've got to a very stable 494Mhz (can also run at 517Mhz but thats unstable).

To get to this speed, I've had to use a socket A (Yes, i modded it to fit). And I've had to use ASone and a whopping extra 0.3v to get it stable.

If you want a MUCH faster K6-2, buy a new socketA mobo with a duron. If you want a small increase buy a chunky Socket7 or SocketA hsf with some ASone.

yeah, i use to get 550 outta mine max ( i even tried 2.8v one day)
They are not good overclockers.... id be imprssed to see one run at 600 (for more than coupla mins)

Here is the set up of my computer (soon to be my second computer, since my new one is almost complete):

Tyan Trinity 1590S MoBo
AMD K6*2 400 MHz Processor @ 500 MHz 2.4V Air Cooled
256 MB of PC100 RAM (2 * 64 MB, 1 * 128 MB)
Western Digital 20.1 Ultra/66 Hard Drive
Mitsumi 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Drive
LG-Electronics 32X CD-ROM Drive (SUCKS REALLY BAD)
Hewlett-Packard 10/4/32X CD-RW Drive
Diamond Viper 770 Ultra nVidia TNT2 Ultra 32 MB AGP Video Card
Creative Labs SB Live! MP3 PCI Sound Card
Creative Labs ModemBlaster PCI Modem Card
ADS Tech USBX404 TurboQuad 4 PCI USB Card

Running stable at the following temps:
At Idle = 33*C
Under Normal Load (Microsoft Outlook 2000, 2 Internet Explorers) = 36-7*C
Under Gaming Mode (After 3 hours straight of gaming with Tony Hawk PS2 or BG II) = 42-5*C

It took me to thoroughly clean and keep clean the interior of the case and juice up the fan as well as a good coat of Artic Silver to get this stable.

I ran a K6 @ 450 @ 560 2.8 V. This was the best it would do and this wasn't 100% stable. As said before the K62 is not a good oc er.
They are voltage pigs and get very hot. I tried every thing I could think of to get higher. No go. They do perform well if you oc the FSB and leave the multiplier the same or lower. At least you can step up the memory bandwidth this way.
Good luck

Thanks for your help dudes, I will try to get a stable 550 at a lower voltage. My board is a FIC PGA 2130 and apparently doesnt run past 500 but the board manual has markings for 105, 110, 115, 120 and 124 MHz but the manufacturers claim it not to be reliable at this speed. How could it be made to be more reliable? Or should I just buy another board?

Yeah, the bus speed settings are there but MVP3 IDE controllers get really finicky at anything over 100 MHz. My K6-2 ran to 560 (112x5) but it took a lot of effort and my CD burner would not work at that FSB speed. If you're really wanting 800 MHz that bad, a Duron 650 and a KT7E can be had off of Pricewatch for about $130. Not bad if you ask me, you'll be able to port all your other parts over to that setup. A 650 should do at least 900 MHz with a good HSF and case airflow.

SickBoy

Probably not worth it to spend on a new mobo at this point in the product life. I would suggest you try finding one of the "+" series CPU's. K6-2+@475 = $39.95. K6-3+ 450 was $70-100 on ebay recently.

These are built with a .18 micron process, so o/c better, and are cooler. The K6-2+ also got a big bump in on-die cache, so really jumped up in performance. Much less so for the K6-3+.

I have a 533 running at 560 Mhz (112 x 5) at default 2.2v. I think the two most important things to remember about overclocking the K62 are:

1) Increase the FSB as high as possible while decreasing the multiplier if needed. K62's benefit greatly from FSB increases. In tests I've found 560 (112 x 5) to be equal in performance to 600 (6 x 100) because of the higher FSB despite the obviously high clock speed.

2) Use a good cooler. The K62 is heat sensitive. I switched from a generic CPU cooler to a Golden Orb (NOT recommended on a FIC 503+ due to CPU socket clearances) and was able to overclock higher. I was even able to hit 616 at 2.8v but that voltage is WAY too high IMO (2.5v is the max). I left it at 560 with PC133 RAM running at the 112 Mhz FSB speed and Cas-2.

to say 2.8v is too high is false. the range tolerance is here...

The 2.2v CORE K6 chip is the .25µ Model 7 K6.
Unlike most of the other chips listed here, the AMD K6, K6-2, and K6-III do not list an Absolute Maximum Voltage. Instead, they have a recommended upper limit for reliable operation of 3.5v/4.0v (2.5v/3.6v for Model 7 and Model 8; 2.6v/3.6v for Model 9). However, operation of the chip outside its nominal voltage range will still void the warranty.
Maximum amperages for the 166MHz and 200MHz chips were measured at 3.045v/3.6v.
Maximum amperages for the 233MHz (3.2v version) chip were measured at 3.3v/3.6v.
Maximum amperages for the 233MHz (3.3v version) chip were measured at 3.4v/3.6v.
Maximum amperages for Model 7 and Model 8 chips were measured at 2.3v/3.6v.
Maximum amperages for Model 9 chip were measured at 2.5v/3.6v.
Typical power dissipation was measured at normal operating voltages and under normal system operation (typical instruction sequences).
Maximum power dissipation was measured at normal operating voltages and under worst-case instruction sequences.
The specs listed in the datasheet for the 533MHz K6-2 part are exactly the same as the 500MHz part.

this info taken from here:
proc electrical spec database.

i suggest either buying a used socket7 on ebay, cuz it's cheap
or going the Duron route.

if you go Duron, figure $40 in the least for aircooler. this is mandatory for proper coolig/good overclocking.
and either way you go,
do not skimp on a mobo. the board ultimately defines what you'll get out of the chip, so be advised... do the homework before deciding.
also, in either case, buying a millennium glaciator...
to use on the AMD K6-2 or Duron is a good move. for now and future when you do upgrade. temps effect stability.

and lastly, my MVP3 chipset on a Tekram mobo
was rock-solid running K6-2 450 at 560 via 112fsb 5.0x 2.8v and a Gorb
the system runs great still, a year later, for the guy who bought it from me.

Back