• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What chips are used on Hyper-X PC3500?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My understanding is that the recent ones are Winbond CH5 chips. I believe at one point they where BH5, but I don't know how long ago it has been since they were. No doubt we have some HyperX owners on the board that could tell you.

He is right.. It's been a while since they have been BH-5 so if you get it new it will most likely be CH-5. The product number has not changed because the timings haven't either. There may be a way to tell but i'm not sure. On the stickers on the heatspreaders it says something at the end like .A000 or .A001 or something like that... I think one might be BH-5 and one CH-5, not sure though.

hmm, i know bh-5 are some of the best you can get, but is the difference that substantial to say pass up what seems to be a good deal on 2 sticks with ch-5?

A good deal on CH5 sticks is the Buffalo PC3200, which are $83 for the 512MB sticks. Unless the Corsair are this kind of cheap I would pass.

If you don't pan on switching to Intel then CH-5 is ok.. it has some problems on Intel boards though.

W942508CH-5 So Winbond CH-5
0330W1

i've had 4 sticks since Jan. all were CH-5 and had A00 on sticker so i'm guessing A01 are the BH-5.

220FSB @ 2-2-3-6 w/ 2.77v dual sync very picky on timings. cas 2 was higher FSB than 2.5 maybe different when burned in.
wish i had BH-5.

guess i'll pick up one buffalo pc3700 stick of 512 w/ bh-5 at newegg now and another later.

For dual channel operation it is crucial that the sticks be identical. To this end it is always best to purchase memory for dual channel applications at the same time from the same vendor. You may get an second identical stick at some future point, but you likely will not. If dual channel operation is important to you I would buy 2x256MB modules now, and sell them on the classifieds when you want to upgrade to 1GB. Quality used memory like that sells as fast as you can type the post around here for almost as much as new stuff commands.

my hyper-x 3500 256megs have kingston on the chips. says:

Kingston
v62552
0327 P01
D328DW-45
how do i found out who made these things?, and what model they are?

Wow, that's a new one one me. the "W" in DW indicates they are a Winbond chip, and the 45 would seem to suggest 4.5ns. I'm guessing that's pretty darn good ram you have there.

groovy! i got this stuff on sale from bestbuy for47$ after rebate! good deal! does winbond make a 4.5ns chip tho?

I've never heard of such a thing, but that's certainly no guarantee. I would expect those chips to run well in excess of 200fsb if your board is willing. Sounds like you got a great deal there.

only thing, i just noticed the 256 stick of buffalo 3700 are cas 3?!?!?

here

Last edited:
It's rated at cas3 at PC3700 speed (466MHz). In reality it would likley run cas2.5 at 466, or even at cas2 if you put enough voltage on it. Or they might not make it to 466MHz at all. Don't get consumed with the superficial numbers. The fact is they are the best 512MB DDR module $99 will buy you, however you choose to slice it.

The important point is that they are decent Winbond BH5 modules, all useless spec aside. These modules typically run 450MHz+ on i845x chipsets and AMD platforms, and do it at tight timings with minimal voltage.

In the more demanding Intel dual channel application (i865/875 chipsets), they typically produce 430-440MHz with tight timings and minimal voltage. With plenty of voltage they can do 450+MHz and still maintain the fastest or near-fastest latency timings.

cool, thanks for the insight larva

i could buy 2x256 bulffalo 3200 but with ch-5 off someone on AT for roughly $85. i know it would be wise to get the fatsest stuff i could get atm, and in the end i want a gig - whatever 2x256 sticks i have will get thrown into my g/f's rig... so what do you think? i need to decide, it about a $55 difference.

Last edited:
Well, that's not a bad avenue, it just seems to me $85 is a bit steep for used modules. Newegg was selling those recently for 45 each, but alas, they are not listed now. They have Infineon chips on the PC3200 now, although the Buffalo number is 433 rather than 400... But it would be crap shoot, and the CH5s should be fine for your application. So if you like the price and the trader, I don't see any reason not to get them.

thanx again...

*edit* just found them on newegg... possibly even bh-5(?) cas 2.5 here say they will be in stock again on 10/10 @ $45.

hmm, though i don't know if the 3200 will be much better than what's in my sig... taken from a review; "Currently running at 218mhz 2-2-2-11 on 2.70v scored 3229 Mb/s on SIsoft sandra"

Last edited:
Yep, those are them. The are CH5s. They should do a little better than your current ram, I would expect 220fsb and 2-2-2-5 timings.

Back