• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K7D Master Big Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chipvideo

I just built my computer and it has dual MP2800's and it is running hot. Around 50 celsius. Another thing is that it only shows 512 meg ram when I have a gig. Also the vcore on one processor was 1.5 and the 2nd was 2.5. I flashed the bios to 1.8 thinking this would help and then the temp went even higher. I need help fast.

I don't think the temps are that outrageous. If you don't have really good airflow its gunna get a little hot, considering you 2 cpus to produce heat. What heatsink and fans are you using? Whats your airflow in your case like?

My K7D Master-L also reports the same odd voltage rating, I have not really even begun to investigate that.

For your memory what slots do you have it in? how many sticks? Only slots 1 and 2 can be used for unbuffered ram. I have never tried sticking unbuffered into slots 3 or 4 so I don't know what would happen if you did.

2 PC3200 512MB DDR400 64X72 ECC/Register Samsung Memory

I have it in the first two slots. What should I do as far as setting up stuff in the bios. I also wonder why my vcore went up to 1.8 with just making the best settings on the bios. I wish there was a foolproof way for people like me.

Actually I have the L version as well. Anyone who has one I would love to go on a step by step to get everything correct. I sure as heck don't want to see my $1800 PC die. I can't afford another one.

First of all relax your computer isn't going to die ;) You need to start reading all the numerous K7D tweak threads in this forum (do a search).

The Vcore thing is just being reported wrong, That CPU would be running much hotter than the other CPU if it was getting that much power.

Have you tested one memory stick by itself, then the other?

I think I might have figured it out. I read somewhere that when you install the Ultra 100 card into slot 2 it has problems when their is a video card in the agp slot. So I put it in the slot next to the card and it works fine now. Shows up as 1 gig and temps are lower. I guess the vcore thing is something of a bug.

CPU2 Vcore reading is actually your Vmem, which should be 2.5V. It isn't a bug. It is the way the K7D reports voltage. Vcore1 and Vcore 2 are the same.

Your temps are normal. You can try lowering the Vcore to bring down the temps. Also case airflow is incredibly important with AMD duallies. If your case airflow isn't great, then you can have problems with your temps.

The lower 66 MHz/64 bit PCI slot shares an IRQ with the AGP slot. Usually this isn't a problem, but if your controller is real picky, then it does usually help for it to have it's own IRQ. I've used an LSI SCSI card, and two different Highpoint IDE RAID cards in the lower 66 MHz/64 bit PCI slot, without any problems.

If you want step-by-step help setting up your system, read my sticky in this forum. There is a link in my sig.

There is more info, there, then I care to repeat. I think it will answer most of your questions.

Last edited:
I am in full proccessing load now. Running CCE for last 30 min and getting a speed of 2.65 and my temps are 55 for each cpu. There are so many types of tweaks for just windows and stuff could somone point me in the right direction. This computer is for video editing and encoding and making dvd's.

Forgot to add that in task manager I am showing 70% cpu load. I thought that the most it would show with dual cpu was around 50%. It doesnt even show two cpu's in the task manager.

chipvideo said:
I am in full proccessing load now. Running CCE for last 30 min and getting a speed of 2.65 and my temps are 55 for each cpu. There are so many types of tweaks for just windows and stuff could somone point me in the right direction. This computer is for video editing and encoding and making dvd's.

Check out www.videoguys.com

They have some tweak guides, there for video editing machines, both 2K and XP.

chipvideo said:
Forgot to add that in task manager I am showing 70% cpu load. I thought that the most it would show with dual cpu was around 50%. It doesnt even show two cpu's in the task manager.

If it isn't showing two CPU's in task manager, then you are doing something wrong.

Did you install Windows with both CPU's installed?

Do the CPU's show up as "MP**** (2 CPU's)" on bootup?

In Device Manager, under "Computer", does you have "ACPI Multiprocessor PC"?

Under the "Advanced" tab of "System Properties", click on "Environmental Variables". Under "System Variables", next to "NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS", it should have the number "2".

Gnerma said:

The Vcore thing is just being reported wrong, That CPU would be running much hotter than the other CPU if it was getting that much power.

Heh with this dinky little fan I got on my cpu we would be talking fireworks at 2.5v ;)

chipvideo said:

Actually, the most it can show is 100%, but it will only show that when both CPU's are being used 100%.

If only a single task is running, and that task is single threaded, then the most it can use is 50% of each CPU (roughly).

chipvideo said:

You may want to check the view menu in task manager. Under CPU History there is a toggle between one graph, all CPUs and one graph per CPU. If you have it set to one graph for all CPUs it appears the same as a normal 1 cpu machine.

I show two graphs split in the usage history, but it shows 75% cpu being utilized. I thought that was impossible with a dual setup. I am doing realitime with CCE.

Open up the processes tab of task manager, sort by CPU and add it up. There must be 2 different processes taking up cpu time...

chipvideo said:
I show two graphs split in the usage history, but it shows 75% cpu being utilized. I thought that was impossible with a dual setup. I am doing realitime with CCE.

Sounds like everything is fine. If you are showing two graphs, then the OS is using both CPU's.

Here is my previous statement about CPU usage on duals:

cmcquistion said:
Actually, the most it can show is 100%, but it will only show that when both CPU's are being used 100%.

If only a single task is running, and that task is single threaded, then the most it can use is 50% of each CPU (roughly).

Back