• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice before i buy this...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yakuza

I found a Home Brand-Freetech or something motherboard, with a Athlon Tbird 750 Slot A . I heard that Slot A Tbirds werent good and i just wanted to know your guyses input. The mobo that it comes with seems to be very configurable, and i wanted to know if Slot A tbirds were good with overclocking. Btw it all costs 108$ US.....seem like a good price to you guys?

It is obsolete.
I don't know if I used good word - it is simply OLD. Slot A CPU's are not manufactured now at all and there aren't any "slocket" for AMD CPU's
Buy "normal" socket A MB.

I agree with pik33, there not bad but obsolete. Not much processor upgradability unless you find an old or used slot a cpu.

Sketch (Jun 07, 2001 04:25 p.m.):
I agree with pik33, there not bad but obsolete. Not much processor upgradability unless you find an old or used slot a cpu.

how is that? theres plenty of slot procs on pricewatch.
they only go up to 900mhz however.
slots are the same as pretty much everything else...
socket7, socket370... same deal, it's the previous generation.
there really isn't any advantages to slots, as their price is actually higher than Durons w/ socket A... which does allow upgrades "currently"
but for the right price, i'd take a slot AMD

what surprises me... is that nobody has mentioned that buying that MOBO will probably be a horrible nightmare realized.
get a real motherboard, ASUS, ABIT, iWill, MSI, SOYO, etc...
or you can forget overclocking! slot, socket, lock, and/or barrell.

n2 (Jun 07, 2001 05:05 p.m.):
Sketch (Jun 07, 2001 04:25 p.m.):

how is that? theres plenty of slot procs on pricewatch.
they only go up to 900mhz however.
slots are the same as pretty much everything else...
socket7, socket370... same deal, it's the previous generation.
there really isn't any advantages to slots, as their price is actually higher than Durons w/ socket A... which does allow upgrades "currently"
but for the right price, i'd take a slot AMD

what surprises me... is that nobody has mentioned that buying that MOBO will probably be a horrible nightmare realized.
get a real motherboard, ASUS, ABIT, iWill, MSI, SOYO, etc...
or you can forget overclocking! slot, socket, lock, and/or barrell.

Well you answered your own question, they are more expensive, their only available up to 900, there is no on-die cache, so there is no real advantage of going with that processor when you can get a good socket a board and a duron or thunderbird.

Back