• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with 2.4ghz C overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Matsuda

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and just got a 2.4ghz C a few days ago. I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum and also Hardforums about 2.4ghz. I'm able to boot up at 250 and 260 FSB but I have been having problems during prime95 torture tests. First off I should tell you guys what my specs are.

Maylasian p4 2.4ghz C fpo/batch # Q322A279
Retail stock intel hs & Fan with artic silver 3

Asus p4p800 865PE motherboard with 1010 revision.
2x256mb Kingston HyperX pc3500 dual channel ddr400
enermax 350w psu
maxtor 120gb and 40gb hds
asus ti4200 64mb
Soundblaster live value

The cpu is at stock voltage of 1.6V. Bios is set to auto voltage
Memory is running at 208mhz according to cpu-z 5:4 2-3-3-7 according to hyperx spec sheet. I had to set that manually, if the bios is on auto, it runs it at 3:2 2.5-4-4-8. AGP/PCI is at 66/33 locked.

I can boot up fine at 250FSB @ 3.01ghz and was able to run prime95 torture test for 2 and a half hours without any errors. Before I messed around with the memory timings, it was erroring out after 6 runs. I'm able to 3dmark fine and ff benchmark over and over for hours.

Right now I'm booted up at 260 FSB @ 3.14ghz. Still stock voltage, same memory timings, agp, etc. But prime95 craps out after 1 run. I've tried bumping up the voltage in the bios to 1.625 (asus probe/cpu-z showed 1.66-1.69 tho) and still no go in prime. So I've now ran out of ideas. Also It would crap out when the memory was running at 3:2 and reboots 10mins into Halo. I'd like to be able to get this up to 3.2ghz on stock cooling but as you can see I'm having a bit of problems. Sorry for the long post but I figure I'd give as much information as possible. If any of you can help me out, it'd be much appreciated!

Welcome to the forums!

I sounds like your CPU is at its limits with the current cooling.

You will probably either need more voltage, or better cooling.

increase the Vc to 1.65 and try 260 again or maybe 270? next stage is to upgrade cooling...maybe a Thermalright SLK? :)

thanks guys, I bumped up the voltage to 1.65 and tried it at 260fsb again. No go in Prime =(. I still have it at 1.65 and bumped it down to 255 fsb and it's running prime for the past 45mins ok. I'm thinking of getting the Zalmann cnps7000 CU fan to replace the stock one. I'll read up on the thermalright's now. =)

My new MO Step SL6Z3 2.4c is sitting at 270fsb right now, on 1.55v and almost stock cooling...

Back