• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

installing windows xp over 98, reformat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dalilman52

im going to install windows xp home upgrade soon over a windows 98 but i wanted to know if i had to reformat my hdd, i wanted to know because the drivers for my asus a7n8x board only were compatible up to 98 SE, and nothing below that (meaning my windows 98) so i think i should probably reformat, cuz the drivers are definitely not gonna be compatible with each other, and the versions of software may conflict, advice nebody??
________
Zoroastrianism advice

Last edited:
Format the drive, then boot from the XP upgrade disc. It'll ask for a previous Windows disc (95, 98, 2000, ME, etc.), stick that in, it'll verify it and then continue the XP installation as if you have the full version of XP.

I upgraded a W98SE computer to XP for a friend at his insistance. By the time I ironed all the bugs out, it would have been easier to do a clean installation.

aight, thx guys, another question is...is 2000 better than xp pro/home? i heard that 2000 is better, also id prefer to use 2000
________
BOX VAPORIZERS

Last edited:
Some people prefer it but IMO they are pretty much the same except that XP has mroe features (wich is both good and bad- more stuff but uses more resources).

Back