• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Processor Temp after Lapping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harryinny3

Just lapped my 2.4 With a 1200 Grit finale Finish. Came out AWESOME!! After running Prime95 at Max heat output, For 10 hours (i know short run) The Processor Ran at 45C. That was the highest it got. Is that good for air cooled? So far its 4C lower than before i did the Lapp.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Harry

shiyan said:
Nice! so you lapped the Intel Heat Spreader? good temps.

haven't heard of that heatsink before.

You can lap both the heatsink and the IHS of the CPU.
harry, your reported temps look good. Anything that drops your temps , even if it's 4°, I'd consider a good thing. Good job man. :thup:

He has the PCToys branded Zalman cooler ("Flower") I believe.. with a 92mm fan mounted with the PCI slots.

Thanks

Your right on the HS. Its this big ole copper flower deal. HEAVY as heck too. Cools awesome.

What i did was Sanded off the so called Silver(aluminum?) Coating on the Proggy. Got down to copper. Then went to 400 grit for scratches. Then went to 600 grit for even better polish. Then the Finale process was the 1500 grit stuff. It put a finish on there like a Mirror! I wish i took a pic of it, It looked so nice. I was real proud at the time i put it in there. And i only used A layer of as3 so thin i could almost see through it.

Whats a good amount to put on? My Heatsink also has A mirror Flat finish also.

Ill take a pic of the HS setup someday and post it. Its a Very good HS for 40 bucks. I also have another 92mm fan that blows right on my vid card.

Harry

Since you've seemed to lap it well and tediously, you could probably forget about paste all-together. If they are both truly flat, paste could actually hinder your results. May want to do a run without any on there and see what you get.

Ffats said:
Since you've seemed to lap it well and tediously, you could probably forget about paste all-together. If they are both truly flat, paste could actually hinder your results. May want to do a run without any on there and see what you get.

There ae very few instances where the heatsink and IHS surfaces are so flat that you could run without paste. this is such a case. The heatsink and CPU are both lapped so flat, that the surface friction holds them together. For the life of me I can't remember which member originally posted this image, but many thanks, as I have reposted the image quite often.

lapped.jpg

That's pretty cool, and good to hear about the temp results from the lapping. Hmm, I need to build a polishing machine.

THAT is an awesome Pic!

My HS is almost that polished. I havent lapped it yet. I will do so prolly after surgery at the end of the monyh. I will almost bet i could get that good of contact with A bit of work. I really enjoy doing this stuff. Thank goodness i found this place. Ive learned more than i ever thought, or imagined. You all are awesome!!

PS. By xmas i will prolly be getting a Bolt on HS. Ive seen some good recomendations. Thanks. Theres one i saw at compusa, Its a huge HS with a Big heatpipe running through the middle. Forgot the name, But a real nice deal. Has a fan mount also.

Harry

If you want a really good heatsink I'd recommend a nice SP-94. It has great mounting brackets and is spring loaded to mounting to the board. Really nice if you ask me and cools quiet well just look at my sig.

Back