• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding console on Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mjmnam

ok, i finally decided to try out Linux. i'm running mandrake 9.1 ( i was told it was good for beginners) i downloaded FAH3Console-LinuxB.exe but when i try to run it nothing happens. can anyone help this poor n00b?

You'll need to run it like this:

./FAH3Console.exe -advmethods -forceasm

Flags are optional, but recommended with your setup

[mjmnam@x1-6-00-26-54-0e-d5-ee mjmnam]$ ./FAH3Console.exe -advmethods -forceasm
bash: ./FAH3Console.exe: No such file or directory
[mjmnam@x1-6-00-26-54-0e-d5-ee mjmnam]$

that's what i get.. i'm a total windows guy here and i _just_ installed linux like an hour ago

You need to be in the directory where the console is kept, most likely your home diretory... I'll use /home/username/folding as an example.

cd /home/username/folding
./FAH3Console-LinuxB.exe -advmethods -forceasm

If you've never run the client before, you may need to alter its permissions so it is executable, as root:

cd to where it is, then
chmod +x FAH3Console-LinuxB.exe

^^^
Oops, forgot about that. Back when I was using Mandrake, I didn't need to modify permissions at all, but some people do.

ok, i got it running, but how do i make it run in the background? instead of on the desktop?

press ctrl +c to close it

This time add a "&" at the end of the line that launches the client:

./FAH3Console-LinuxB.exe -advmethods -forceasm &

if you want to view your progress, you can issue a command like:

more /home/username/folding/FAHlog.txt | tail -20

I usually write simple scripts that have these commands in them, so I can type:

viewfold or foldon (the name of the scripts)

in order to start my client or view the log file....

ok, i got it so it stays running, but it won't recognize the flags

It should. Maybe you just got a tinker WU by chance.

run this:

less /path/to/your/FAHlog.txt

That should let you see the log file in its entirety. If you've started the client more than once, check at each part of the log where it was started to see. It should say -advmethods and -forceasm somewhere in there.

pressing q quits

A good way to kill the client, should you need to is:

killall -15 FAH*.exe

You can see a sort of task manager by running the command

press q to quit top

ok, i got it running now. but somewhere i screwed up the internet connection and can't connect to the internet. although it still works when i boot into windows (like now). but i guess that's for another forum :D

Back