• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer making cricket noises

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Top Hat Theater

For lack of a better place to put this:

One of the computers I built has been operating just fine until today. The owner notified me that it was making a constant , low volume cricket-like sound which gets really loud at times. The noise is not made through the speakers but rather through the speaker in the case. Here are the system specs:

XP 2000 Tbred A
A7N8X Deluxe v2.0
2x 256MB Crucial PC2100 in DCDDR config.
40GB WD 7200RPM HDD
GF4 Ti4200
Windows 2000 Pro SP4

It's been running for nearly six months without issue so this has got me stumped. I'll be visiting the machine soon. The CPU is running at 52C as reported by MBM5 so it's not a heat issue. I think I set the COP to 70 or something like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~THT

Is there a cricket in the compter? :) -Sorry...

It sounds like the cause may be happening at the BIOS level. I've had some machines make a series of chirps from the PC speaker upon bootup.

Try disabling the PC speaker in windows. If it still chirps, then it probably isn't OS related. Perhaps the speaker is picking up electrical noise from somewhere. A good plug and chug might solve it too, where you yank and reseat all the cards and connections. Another route is to try a different PC speaker.

HTH

Yeah, sounds to me (pun intended) like some sort of BIOS signal. I bet if you look in the MoBo manual it has certain beep sequences for MAJOR problems, like RAM not working, keyboard unpluged, etc. Stuff from 286 days. But my guess is that somewhere in there one of those signals has gone haywire and now it is looping the beep.

Or you may just have a real cricket in there.

I read a article a few months back and it said that music or weird sounds coming out of the speaker means that something is about to fail. I cant remember the thread but we all made fun of it. lol

Back