• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me delete this stubborn desktop icon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ge|atinousFury

A few days ago I tried to download a demo of the game Tron 2.0 using Download accelerator Pro and I didn't choose "open in browser", and a small file was placed on my desktop. This has happened before, but I've always been able to delete the file/files that were created.

The thing is, I can't delete it. Here's what I've tried:

1. Downloaded and ran Microsoft Regcleaner. Tried deleting the file again. Didn't work.

2. Restarted in safe mode. Tried deleting the file in safe mode. Didn't work.

Can anyone give me some help on deleting stubborn icons? I'm sure there are tricks for this sort of thing :)

Close all open programs...Start | Run | Type taskmgr.exe and click OK. Leave Task Manager open, and click Start | Run | Type cmd and click OK. Leave the Command Prompt window open, go to Task Manager and click the "Processes" tab; "End Process" on "Explorer.exe". Go to the Command Prompt window and navigate to the folder that you'd like to delete, and enter del <filename>. Go back to Task Manager | Click "File" | New-->Task | Enter explorer.exe to restart the GUI. :)

Last edited:
i was going to sugest, get a big container, put some hot steamy liquid in it, start dancing around it doing some sort of ritual, and when the program least expects it, yell BE GONE!

Back