• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CD burner not working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FireMogle

I transfered an old HP 7200 2x/1x/8x burner into a friends computer. The drive reads cds fine, but when the two burning programs Ive tried scan the IDE/SCSI bus, windows hard locks. The programs where nero and I forget the other. The mobo is old, an Epox MVP4F so I dont know if that is the problem. After the burning software is isntalled windows update stopped working as well. Updated the VIA 4in1s with no help. Any Ideas?

edit: The OS is W2K

Last edited:
Dude, the same has happened to me!

I use an old 8x burner, which was FINE on my old system, with Windows 2000, using Easy CD Creator 5, but after upgrading to an NF-7s, it hard-locks solid, when it tries to burn... :(

It DOES however, burn cds if I use Easy Cd Creator 3.5 (but that doesn't support any bigger than 650megs, so that's right out)

On the other hand, my drive could be wearing out (it's the drive that burned 34 CDs in a row, at top speed), and a new one would not break the bank.

If there's a reason why it hard-locks, i'd be interested though :)

FireMogle did you install the VIA PCI Latency Patch?

This is a Windows driver that will patch motherboards that have VIA chipsets. It is intended to solve many problems, including these:

1) Files copied from one IDE hard disk drive to another are corrupted.
2) The computer stops ("freezes", "hangs", "locks up") when playing sounds, especially to a Creative SoundBlaster LIVE! card.
3) The computer stops when copying to or from an IDE DVD, CDROM, or CDRW drive.
4) Sounds played by a Creative Labs sound card are distorted.

Back