• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AOpen PSU is actually a Fortron?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EgeWorks

For those of us who live in faraway places - E.g. Australia there is no places to buy Fortron PSUs that I can find. Now I read somewhere that AOpen uses the guts of Fortrons in their PSUs, and AOpens are common around here.

Does anyone have knowledge to reinforce this (before I shell out and get one)?

If it's true it might save others some $$, as they seem a bit better priced (when converted from US$ to AU$ anyway).

i know that at least SOME Aopens are rebranded fortrons....

for instance the 530 watt Aopen at www.newegg.com...
GREAT supply for less than $100

if the model number starts with FSP then it's a fortron...

Thanks for the quick response:

This looks like a Fortron then:

AusPCMarket

But it is alot of money - I mean it is plus shipping but still newegg has it less than $100US and in Aussie $ that's like 165 or so. This is like $240!!

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the quick response:

This looks like a Fortron then:

AusPCMarket

But it is alot of money - I mean it is plus shipping but still newegg has it less than $100US and in Aussie $ that's like 165 or so. This is like $240!!

Thanks for the info!

yep that looks like the same Aopen Fortron that newegg has for less than $100...

maybe you could try to get a CWT (channel well technology) or Antec (that are made by CWT) for less money in Australia?

the CWT/Antec TP 480 or 550's are probably just as good as the Aopen 530...

Yeah the Antec's are much cheaper here which is good. ~A$160

I had a TP430 in my old rig and it never gave me any trouble, I was just looking for something new to play with :)

I might have a shot at the 480W Thermaltake PurePower, it has a couple of good reviews and not too badly priced.

Yeah the Antec's are much cheaper here which is good. ~A$160

I had a TP430 in my old rig and it never gave me any trouble, I was just looking for something new to play with :)

I might have a shot at the 480W Thermaltake PurePower, it has a couple of good reviews and not too badly priced.

i think that the 480w thermaltake's are made by sirtech and are about as good as an antec tp 430...

so how much are the thermaltake 480's there?

Thermaltake 480 is ~A$170. If you shop around you can get them for about 150.

Edit: You seem to know a fair bit about PSUs, any idea who Zalman generally uses for it's psu components? As I can get their 400w for $150 or less.

Last edited:
Yep, my AOpen PSU is a Fortron. Its a 380w model, and it came along with my AOpen case. Good thing too, it wasnt too expensive, €100 for the psu and the H600B case. Now I can sleep soundly knowing that my psu wont fry components (hopefully).

Thermaltake 480 is ~A$170. If you shop around you can get them for about 150.

Edit: You seem to know a fair bit about PSUs, any idea who Zalman generally uses for it's psu components? As I can get their 400w for $150 or less.

although, i can't remember the reference now, i read that some Zalman's have parts made by fortron...

but, also i have only read good things with the zalman's anyway...

so if you get a good deal on one...then it should do fine...

here are two reviews of power supplies including the zalman:

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20030609/power_supplies-12.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20021021/powersupplies-07.html#maximum_output_overload_test

though, for your price options...i think i would still get the antec tp 430

IIRC the Zalman 400w is really a Fortron 400w with a quieter fan...

my aopen case came with a 350w psu that is model number, fsp350-60bt, Fortron :D. most of the aopen psu's that i looked at at newegg seem to be fortron source. they are pricey though compared to the sparkles/fortrons.

J.

Thanks for all you're help - I learned more about PSUs in the last couple of days than I've known for years ;) I always just went for whatever everyone else had. Now I know why to get it!

I think I'll go for the Zalman as I can get a really good price on it.

Back