• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IE auto-download: how to disable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrKillington

This is kind of annoying. I can't remember when it started happening, but a while back, whenever I try to download .zip files IE by default saves them to a temporary folder and extracts them, then lets me copy them to where I want them.. I hate this! I'd much rather save the zip file to a specific folder, and get the little "save to" dialog box that every other file type gives me. Does anyone know how to turn this off?
P.S. Yes I have looked, but I'm very very bad at finding the configuration stuff I need in IE.

Open My Computer | Tools | Folder Options | "File Types" tab | Click the appropriate file type in the "Registered File Types" box (in your case, this would be ZIP) | Click the "Advanced" button | Click the "Confirm open after download" check box to select it (after highlighting "Open with WinZip", or whatever ZIP program you happen to be using...in the "Actions" field). ;)

Back