• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I RMA my IS-7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyl0r

I've had my IS-7 for a few weeks now and I've been noticing a few things that don't seem right.

1st. Memory issues: Sockets 1&3 don't detect any memory, single stick or dual stick, but sockets 2&4 work just fine with either single stick or dual stick.

2nd. More memory issues: ANY changes to the memory result in a total boot failure, meaning no video/bios screen/anything. And by ANY I mean ANY. I can't change any cas/ras/pre-charge/etc., and forget about GAT, it doesn't even like me thinking about changing it from Auto. I've never been able to sucessfully get the board to boot after changing memory settings, I've always ended up clearing the CMOS and starting all over.

Memory brand Corsair PC4000 matched 256MB pair. It runs just fine in sockets 2&4, at 250FSB at 2.65V. Bios version is 16, directly from Abit.

Should I RMA it, has anyone else faced a similar issue with this board, or is it the memory?

Contact ABIT. To me it sounds like an RMA.

Also have you tried any other ram, like PC3200?

No, I haven't yet tried any other ram yet, just the Corsair. I'll contact Abit and see what they say.

Anyone ever deal with Abit cust. service?

Yeah I have. My IS7 stopped working for some reason. I did all the pre-requisites to make sure it is not some other component that failed (you know, reseat components, blah blah blah). And afterwards, all signs were pointing that the motherboard was the one which was faulty. So I call them up, and the guy makes me do everything I had previously done (reseat every component, check the wires, single out component by component, ETC). Well anyways, he came to a conclusion that the mobo was short circuited (like I didn't know :p), so he told me to contact my vendor (newegg) for an RMA.

If you are 100% sure that the mobo is dead, don't call ABIT. Contact your vendor, because if you call ABIT, they will tell you to do contact the vendor first.

Hope it helps :D

Back