• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which is better 9800non pro se... or 9600 pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darryl_D

which one is better the 9800se (np) or the 9600 pro... is there like a softmod i could do for the 9800 to get back all 8 pipelines insetad of 4 (i'm gussing no... ) is there any mod i could do to make the 9800np like a 9800pro... i know people were able to do it with the original 9800np but i haven't ehard of anyone doing it with the se.....

should i just buy a 9600 pro??? if so from what company.....

thanks in advance sorry for the noobish question...

yea but will the 9800np second edition stillbeat the 9600 pro???

tag for koranuso

id kinda like to knwo this too,

i just got the 9800 pro for this lan party and then returned it the next day.

only to find out that i wont actually get the money refunded to my account for 1-3 business cycles which means 1-3 FRIGGIN MONTHS AHHHHH

*******s

oh hey how can i tell how many posts i have? i assume the star means somethin

Well, for starters, SE does not stand for Second Edition. It probably stands for Special Edition. Second Edition would be better, and the 9800SE is not better than the 9800.

Anyway, if you're going to buy a 9800SE, make sure you buy the Powercolor card that looks like the 9700. It comes with default clocks of 380/340. It goes for around $170 at Gameve. There is a chance you will be able to softmod it and successfully open up the other four pipes, but there are no guarantees. However, this card is still going to be faster than a regular 9600 Pro. even though it has a slower core clock, it has much, much more bandwidth to play with.

SE does stand for Second Edition, dunno why but it does.
I bought the 9200SE, and I gotta say it's CRAP! but it's made by Apollo and just has the 9200 ati chip. I too am interested in this question so anothing thing i'll throw out...Are all SE's made by a different company and just have the ati chip, or does ATI make SE's too. I saw A box that said ATI Radeon 9800SE so i'm assuming they do.If not then I would stay away from the SE

I've been wondering this myself, as *nobody* seems to have much in the way of 9800SE benchmarks -- at least not 9800SE/9600Pro benches. I found one review of the softmodded SE, but nothing on the standard one. Anybody seen anything?

anyone help??? the reason i ask is because i'm probably gonna order the stuff today!

An overclocked Powercolor 9800SE will beat an overclocked 9600 Pro. Like I said earlier, a 9800SE's core is clocked almost as fast as a 9600's and its memory is way faster. It's also got a 256-bit memory bus. The card is much faster, and there's a chance to softmod it.

Shade00 said:
An overclocked Powercolor 9800SE will beat an overclocked 9600 Pro. Like I said earlier, a 9800SE's core is clocked almost as fast as a 9600's and its memory is way faster. It's also got a 256-bit memory bus. The card is much faster, and there's a chance to softmod it.

Sorry but that is not quite right. There are also 9800SE's with 128bit memory controllers. Caveat emptor! Be careful of what you buy!

yeah they are 9800se with 128bits memory and also lower speed. You got to know what your buying. Either way, i still think the 9800 SE's are expensive.

HardwareJedi said:

Sorry but that is not quite right. There are also 9800SE's with 128bit memory controllers. Caveat emptor! Be careful of what you buy!

What I said is right. The Powercolor 9800SE available from Gameve for $168 has the 256-bit memory bus. The Sapphire cards have the 128-bit bus and their default clocks are slower. Personally I would buy the Powercolor 9800SE over the 9600 Pro.

I have been wondering this very same thing. Shade sounds like he has good advice. Check ALL the specs before you order.

We all know for a fact that the SE is a watered down version of the 9800. We also know that it has just 4 pipelines vs the 9800 8 pipes.

The key variables seem to be whether the 9800Se you order has a 128 or 256 mem interface and the core and mem clock speed.

How does this card benchmark vs the 9600 pro? I would also love to know. My guess is 10-15% better.

ATI took away our beloved 9800np because it was cutting into sales of the 9800pro. Then they gave us the crippled "SE". This reminds me of the same sh*t they did with their "LE" products 2
years ago.

Frankie said:
Samoyed said:
We all know for a fact that the SE is a watered down version of the 9800.
Which way its watered down since it has the same GPU than in 9800 ?
Samoyed said:

9800 uses 8 pixel pipes, 256bit memory interface and has higher clocks than the

9800SE which uses 4 pixel pipes and comes in both 128 or 256bit memory interface versions(Buyer Beware) and may be clocked slower than the true 9800 depending on Manufacturer. They may also use lower quality memory.

hence a watered down version. :beer:

The first version of the RADEON 9800 SE will be made on simplified 6-layer PCB and feature 128-bit memory bus for 128MB of DDR SDRAM. The RADEON 9800 SE graphics chip will have only four active rendering pipelines. ATI Technologies again simply disables half of the VPU’s pixel pipelines and probably end-users should have a chance to re-enable them using tweaks in drivers or simply by re-soldering some resistors on the chip.

The second version of the RADEON 9800 SE graphics card will be made on 8-layer PCB and will boast with 256-bit bus for 128MB of DDR SDRAM memory. The chip will also feature only four pipelines, however, this is not an obstacle for brave overclockers and modders, is it? After certain tweaks some lucky users will probably get a fully-functional RADEON 9800 from a lower-cost RADEON 9800 SE solution.

Core and memory clocks of the RADEON 9800 SE graphics cards are to be determined, but in general I expect speeds of the RADEON 9800 SE with 128-bit memory bus to be lower compared to its brother with 256-bit bus."

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20030717153234.html

Back