• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More on silent cooling....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JimmyG

This very interesting article was posted awhile back:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/modul...s&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=114&page=1

It occurs to me that a variation on this theme would allow you to install a very quiet water cooling system by placing a large water block on the back side of a very large heatsink and mount it to the side of a standard case behind the motherboard. This would eliminate the radiator and fan assembly and the accompanying noise. It would eliminate the use of expensive and hard to route heat pipes. And, it would also allow the use of a standard case.

I wonder if anyone has successfully done that.

Pretty interesting article. I suspect that when you start with any significant amount of ocing the lack of airflow over the heatsink would really start to hurt though. There is a bit of noise associated with running the pump and the power supply anyways. Cheating a little bit with a very low speed fan would probably help ;)

The African Queen is close to what I had in mind. I think a very large heatsink in place of the copper pipes would be more effective. Also, you would always have the option of using a house fan to cool the heatsink. :D

Back