• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Semi Bad News...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
Well, the tech guy at the health care company where I am providing the 65 machines does not like having FAH on the machines, he thinks it messes up his server, not installed on the servers just the workstations :rolleyes: . The VP of operations is really FOR FAH so for the time being, none of the machines will be folding til Mr. Uninformed Tech can be reasoned with by the V.P. We will do a test for him on a batch of machines and see if he notices a difference. He says it will cut the lifespan of the CPU, and they call this guy a tech. Sheesh. So, my production is where it will be for a while, still have a XP 2400 duallie to add though then that's it til i get the 65 going.

make sure you tell him about a constant temperature chip has a LONGER life than one that is on and off all the time ;)

i'm sure you know that.. just reminding if needed.

Yeah and if that doesn't work we can sick the team32 enforcer on him:

2madkit.jpg

Ahh.... don't you just like that kinda tech guys?

I know how he thinks and feels, and so I believe your approach is the right one.

Do a test batch, and show him it isn't bad..

Be careful though, even though he may at first say "OK", he will continue to be semi-paranoid and blame FAH every time he sees an error he doesn't understand.

Flix

flixotide said:
Ahh.... don't you just like that kinda tech guys?

I know how he thinks and feels, and so I believe your approach is the right one.

Do a test batch, and show him it isn't bad..

Be careful though, even though he may at first say "OK", he will continue to be semi-paranoid and blame FAH every time he sees an error he doesn't understand.

Flix
No kidding, he blamed a crashed server on FAH, and FAH was not even ON the server! What a lame-o!

I had a network go *quite* down to the last sobig strain so I started blaming everything on it. If I stubbed my toes, it was sobig's fault. If I got a speeding ticket, blame sobig. When Mustanley passed me on the F@H charts, obviously it was sobig's fault.

This guy is looking for a scapegoat for his shoddy skills =p. SOL.exe is missing! Senior VP loses 90% of his daily chores! Blame F@H!!!

When stuff like this happen, one often tends to think "Damn, this bloke is off the charts"... but nevertheless they are pretty common.

Its pretty much the same situation that prevents me from borging our network, just from a different point of view.

Here its not a technical point of view, but a political and scientific point of view. Our CEO's just aren't comfortable supporting a program where they cannot control or be absolut 101% sure, that the results will not be used against them or for something not so helpful.
E.g. use one science to power a second.. e.g. development of nuclear fusion also led to the development of nuclear weapons... what prevents someone from using theunderstanding of folding proteins to develop a new strain of virii that does so intentionally?

I understand that perspective, but I prefer staying naive and trusty..

Cheers, Flix

Sorry to hear of the possible loss of all that folding power, nikhsub1...
How sad that so many folks take SO much convincing in order to appreciate the benefits of Folding...

Keep chipping away at his reluctance and eventually he should see the light...:D

Dammit man.... and I had finished anchoring myself for the vapor wash as you flew by me at Mach 7. I hope you can convince him and at least you scored the contract. :D

Wedo

Back