• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how long without a heatsink does it take to fry a 1000 mhz athlon, help....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kilroy7777

I was testing out some problems and starting the puter with a couple different 1000s and didn't put the heatsink on. Just checking for post.
i might of fried two chips since the board doesn't post with either now.
no error beeps. monitor just doesn't turn on.

helllllllllllllllllllllllp

well... that doesn't sound good. those tbirds are HOT, and w/o a heatsink on that is bad... hell, i forgot to put my duct w/ fan back on the heatsink on one reboot, shut down fast and then put it on but didnt realize i didnt plug the fan in! anyways, shut down after a few minutes but the heatsink was too hot to touch! w/o a heatsink at all i bet you might have easily killed those two :-(

My Heatsink was not making contact with my chip, I turned the computer on, posted the GeForce startup thingy, and screen went black, all in all, probably more then then 3-4 seconds.

well DAMMIT JIM, (doctor McCoy) i'm a geek not a millionaire....

i'm going to a friends house today to test them on his board, i'll keep you posted, I THINK I DID FRY THEM.

oh well, there goes another paycheck, lol

A few months ago I remember reading on AMD's site that it takes less than 7 seconds to fry any of their current chips. This was a while ago, so i would think it would be less time with the faster chips.

The correct answer is "bummer, you can use a masonry drill bit t make a hole in them so you can use them as a keychain"

Its official, consider them TOAST.
oh well,
another fun lesson learned. lol

anyone want some cool little coasters.....
lol

i would love to have them! But yes, one of the AMD you just learned was never ever run an AMD cpu w/o a hsf. But you are in good company. Pat. Norton on The Screen Savers did the same thing.

kilroy7777 (Jun 13, 2001 03:08 p.m.):
I was testing out some problems and starting the puter with a couple different 1000s and didn't put the heatsink on. Just checking for post.
i might of fried two chips since the board doesn't post with either now.
no error beeps. monitor just doesn't turn on.

helllllllllllllllllllllllp

About 3 seconds (or less). What possessed you to try to turn the computer on without a heatsink? The heatsink isn't there just for looks, you know?

Maybe u could try to RMA the chips if they are still under guarantee and don't have any burn marks on them.
U could say thet they were DOA(dead on arrival).
I think it might work.
It does not hurt to try it.

Nyte man take it easy, we have all done this, I dont think it is gonna make him feel any better by laughing at him and calling him a dumba*s. A lot of us have fried CPUs before, and it really really sucks. So please dont make it worse by adding the comments you just said.

There is a possibility that the CPUs may still be operable........ you say there are no error beeps..... the Monitor just doesnt kick in ?

Well i know if you have an Graphics card, rather than an intergrated video.... sometimes the gold connectors get crud on them..... even while they are connected.
Try this : (it works for installing new memory too, when it isnt recognized)
Take out ur vid card and rub the gold connectors gently with a clean eraser...... then blow off all the dust and re-install the card firmly. Then start ur comp up and see if it works. If not.... try clearing the CMOS and rebooting...... if still nothing, then u've got a well-done CPU try calling place where u got it or somein and make up a story that thats the way u got it..... try get ur money back or a replacement.
If you dont have any luck with that...... they make good key chains. lol

(I only read the 1st string b4 i posted this...... lol, I saw that u tested them afterward.... n/m this post)

Wow! 3 seconds? That's really very fast.

I won't be firing up mine without a sink then.

Carefully files this in his "don't try this folder"

Ya. I'd try to rma the chips. Probably get atleast one back.

good luck.

NyTe (Jun 14, 2001 07:53 a.m.):
3 SECONDS YOU DUMAS...LoL U R AN IDIOT AMD says NEVER do that because the heat made from ANY Thunderbird will burn a chip up in 3 seconds...have fun buying 2 more Gig chips...LoL

Wise men learn from fools, or dumbas*'s, if you prefer.

Fess_ter

Back