Notices

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.
Forum Jump

How dumb are these people...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 10-10-03, 12:33 PM Thread Starter   #1
CyberFed

Location: Orlando Florida UCF Alumni! C/0 2005 Computer Engineering

10 Year Badge

How dumb are these people...

Ok so i am sitting in the computer lab, killing time till my next class, and 2 seats down from me some kid cannot log in (dumb freshmen) so one of the techies on duty comes over and is trying to help him (mind you i am listening in on the whole convo by this point) , for whatever reasons the techie couldnt get it to log in either so he says "here just use my account in the mean time, just dont do anything dumb because it has unrestricted access to most of our schools network" -- now when i here this my eyes light up and now im really paying attention to what they are saying (while trying to look busy on the computer) he then proceeds to tell the kid OUT LOUD the login and PW...let this be a lesson

(the more "PC" version")

Last edited by CyberFed; 10-11-03 at 02:21 AM.
CyberFed is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-10-03, 12:49 PM   #2
Stedeman
The Half Asleep Member

Foolish yes they where. But bear in mind you just spouted on a public forum; "your still have the account saved for a 'rainy day" and all I did was look to your location to get too much information and if a hacker reads your post you could have just taken the blame for any future issues on that network. So you should take care when calling someone something that you don't incriminate yourself within you own quotes
PS I think you are also skimming on the edge of one of the forum rules as well just FYI

Old 10-10-03, 01:03 PM   #3
macklin01
Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Moderator on Vacation, Ph.D.

10 Year Badge

I think you're just barely on the right side of the line.

But do yourself a favor and lose and forget that information. There are plenty of other temptations in life, and the consequences of giving in to this one are potentially quite severe.

If you'd like to do some good, you might try to find the admin's supervisors and relate this story to them. Then, you're a good Samaritan, rather than a potential hacker, and you will have made this point where it counts and can do some good for the school's network security.

Thanks for the good points! -- Paul

Need image I/O for your science apps? Try EasyBMP

My biomedical research: Mathematical Cancer Modeling & Simulation

I'm on vacation as a moderator as I devote more time to my faculty position.
Thank you for your understanding if I don't respond to your PM. -- Paul
macklin01 is offline Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-10-03, 01:06 PM   #4
Mr.Guvernment

10 Year Badge

lol

and it is people like him that allow a company security to be compromised .

i would tell him supervisor - your not being a rat, but your are simply being concerned with security.

,`, Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part ,`,
,`, The trouble with life is theres no background music ,`,
,`, Life isnt short, you're just dead for too long,`,

Mr.Guvernment is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-10-03, 01:10 PM   #5
Breadfan
Inactive Moderator

I agree with Paul on this one. While you are correct that saying a login/pw outloud in a crowded room is a dumb idea, keeping that information for a "rainy day" or just to prove how dumb it is, is close to or just barely crossing the line.

I suppose if you wanted to be a pain, you could've typed it as you overheard it, called the guy over and been like "I overhead this. I'm erasing it, but just to let you know, others may have written the info down as well since you said it so loud in this crowded lab. Perhaps you should change your password."

But you are right, that's one dumb way to lose security. Another thing is when people login to accounts in crowded areas. You never know who's looking over your shoulder and a keen eye can nab a password as you type it just as well as a keylogger.

That tech guy has a problem though. Fortunately you probably won't do anything wrong with the info you have, but what about the other 20 people in earshot??

Heatware -=:=-

"It must be said that genuine compassion is not like pity or a feeling that others are somehow lower than you. Rather, with genuine compassion you view others as more important than yourself." -- Dalai Lama
Breadfan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-10-03, 01:36 PM   #6
pik4chu
Senior Yellow Forum Rat

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Guvernment
lol

and it is people like him that allow a company security to be compromised .

i would tell him supervisor - your not being a rat, but your are simply being concerned with security.
Then maybe ask for his job

Folding User Stats
Team 32 Countdown heatware
pik4chu is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-11-03, 12:20 AM   #7
Mr.Guvernment

10 Year Badge

^^^^ hhe, good point

Old 10-11-03, 04:12 AM   #8
Stedeman
The Half Asleep Member

If you feel you must do something about this. I would see it best if you where to go to the person who heads the IT group and let them know they have a need to improve their network. And let them know about the big hole they put in it every time one of their people gives out the keys to it. But to be on the PC road I wouldn't mention any names (unless you want the job and don't mind a person with access to your grades to be PO'ed at you)

Old 10-11-03, 07:35 AM   #9
cbakey

I know at my school last year, a student created another account when an admin left there computer loged in and this second account was an admin accound and in turn he put quake on the schools servers....... But this year they made it so when you login as an admin you have a red background and everone else has a blue one, so its harder to get away with doing that. But i have seen this one teacher leve the computer logen in as an admin (her account) and was no where around, so it would be easy for someone to do somethin, but it right next to the door so it would also be easy to get caught on her computer and than wouldnt be good.
cbakey is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-12-03, 11:59 AM   #10
Mr.Guvernment

10 Year Badge

i dont think any teacher should or needs any amdin rights to any computer.
the ONLY pepole in any company that need admin rights are the IT / admins of the company - NO one else - everyone else should simple have permission to use what they need.

if a place gives everyone amdin rights then good chance they dont know how to use and set permissions for individual accounts or they are too dam lazy and should be fired!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.