• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drivers....?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

What are these Omega drivers i hear about? are they better than cat drivers?

and how do i install the 3.8 drivers? do i just install them, or do i have to remove the 3.7s first? If i need to remove them, how do i go about doing that? just control panel?

and lastly can i use overclocking utilities with cat drivers?

From what I gather from Omega you don't need to uninstall the previous drivers when you install them, but you should remove the control panel. My understanding is that they're the same drivers with utilities added, like rad clocker. If you're installing the new catalyst then ATI says to go to the control panel and uninstall the old drivers and install the new ones. You should also install the new control panel. Some people have trouble with installing them that way and remove the drivers with Drive Cleaner. ATI also has a utility that will remove all ATI software You can download that from ATI. All the overclocking utilities work with cat drivers. I personally like rage3d, but that's just personal preference

Phil

so should i get omega or ati drivers? and do you have a link for the program to remove whatever should be removed? im a complete noob here....

lol more questions what the diff between an uninstaller and a driver cleaner? and if you uninstall drivers... how can you see?

the uninstaller removes all ATI software including the control panel and multimedia software and the drive cleaner just uninstalls the drivers. Windows must have some type of drivers that it uses because you can see after the install. Probably a generic VGA driver.

About your choice of drivers. What do you primary use your computer for? Couse If you're not much into benching etc I'd go with the omegas. Omega has better IQ and is often more "balanced" than the catalyst.
On the contrary if you're out for the highest score possible in benchmarking I would get the catalyst, couse they always seem to have better "performance" rather than "quality".

The best think is probely to try the both and see what you think about them. In some cases on or the other has some problems/issues with certain games. Try out what drives works best with your favorite games.

good luck

i thought i read somewhere that omegas gave better benchmark scores also....

but i play games..... benchmarks just for fun:D

Back