• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 locked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drguitarum2005

Registered
Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but I don't see a forum for general overclocking questions, so I figured the CPU is the next closest forum to post in. I read somewhere that most intel CPUs come locked now, what does that mean as far as me being able to OC by 200 mhz? I have a 2.8c p4 that I want to up to 3 ghz only and haven't found out how to do this, or even find the multiplyer (my BIOS say nothing about it, abit IS7 mobo), any tips or general info?

It's as easy as upping the FSB to say 215 or so? I was doing that the other day but one guy was persistent that without using the rtight multiplyer I could mess something up

Multiplier on 2.8C is 14 and that is not adjustable..therefore it's called "locked" to increase cpu speed by 200 mhz you increase the FSB setting in Bios by 200/14=@14fsb So set it at 214.your CPU should then be at approx 3000mhz or 3 ghz. You should be able to get 3.4ghz pretty easy on that rig even with slow RAM (by using divider ratios) as long as your PSU is decent.

Thanks guys, got it up to 3.01 ghz safely and temps look to be about the same, I think to be safe I will stay there because I don't know how much to trust these temp readings (I hear abit baords over read their temps and my 5.25 inch temperature guage mount has its sensor at the bottom of the heatsink, so I don't know how close to real that actually is). What other factors should be taken into account as far as not damaging anything? Does RAM quality and such matter?

Back