• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Time doing a RMA I need somre tips/help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AgNa

Registered
Well a Maxtor drive (60Gb) gave me a SMART warining last week "BAD< BACK UP AND REPLACE" was the message, so I did my job and then following the Maxtor.com guide I started my RMA. Now this is the first time I do this, and Maxtor.com gave me a Exel file to file an INVOICE PROFORMA wich is needed when the RMA is requested from outside USA. the problem is that I don`t understand completly how to fill this in example I have this on the left top marginDAF (Port of Entry) according to the help that`s is "Shipper pays freight to destination Country. Maxtor arranges custom clarence and delivery to collection center. I simply don`t understand if I should fill that part or someone on the mail office should. Same goes for the last part that says "I/we hereby certify that the information contained on this invoice is true and correct and that the contents of this shipment are as stated above." And then "Signature [Company Name], [Printed Name], [Title of Person Signing]" Who should sing? me? the mail? the control in USA?. Another thing is that I need to put the price of the drive, but I bough that drive like 20 months ago I don`t remember the exactly price and I can`t find the recipt.:(
From Maxtor.com
Important Customs Invoice information:

If you are returning a disk drive from a location outside of the United States, U.S. Customs requires that a Commercial Invoice be attached to your shipment for importation. If this requirement is not met, your shipment may be returned to you, or held by U.S. Customs until the required information for clearance is provided.

After I completed the RMA request on maxtor site I got a mail with aome info about how to pack and so on now at the end of the mail I got a Shipping label and a PACKING SLIP, what`s a packig slip? for what I see it`s the adress and info of the sender but I~m not sure If I should paste this on the top of the package too. For what I understand I should paste the invoice proforma, the packing slip and the shippment label. is that correct?? Any other Info or tip you can give me is welcome.
Thanx in advance

AgNa

PS: I`m doing the RMA to USA cos there`s no Maxtor Latin America, well in fact theres one but it`s on MIAMI so it`s kinda the same :p

the packing slip is just a sheet stating whats in the box, it goes inside with the HD. as for the rest of your Qs it almost sounds like you have got the reseller RMA form.

i've got to talk to maxtor in the morning about my drive going bad. i've done an rma before, but it was almost a year ago (the same drive) and i dont remember much of what i did. if i end up having to send back my drive i'll come back and try to better answer your questions

Well I would really apreciate and thanx any further info you can gather for me. :)
So far I have my doubts about sending the drive, already been a weekl since I got my RMA # and now I found the sipmment will cost me 20Uss:rolleyes: And since this is all new to me I fear that if I send the drive I will never get a new one back

Maxtor.com gave me a Exel file to file an INVOICE PROFORMA wich is needed when the RMA is requested from outside USA.

Is it Malsysia???

I am HK critizen.....

Maxtor does not suggest HK comsumers use RMA in HK, they suggest us that via the agent.....

But RMA is designed for North America consumers....

I created a RMA for Seagate before.

I shipped the broken drive to Singapore at 12/5/03.

Then I got the new drive at 19/5/03. Seagate is very good efficient for customer!(Remember, I am HK critizen, and I saw their shipping document, they prepared the new drive for me at 14/5/03)

nahh I live In Argentina and theres no Maxtor Argentina or Maxtor Latin America. My problem is that the place where I bought the drive is closed now. I did a Research for Maxtor Resellers here but they all refuse to acept my hard drive to do the RMA cos I didn`t buy the drive to them:rolleyes: . I even said I could pay them for the shipping and time it will take, cos my fear is not to make the right steps, that`s all; but they still refused:( :(

did you try calling maxtor?
my entire rma was set up in about 5 min over the phone. they even sent an email with the completed packing slip and shipping label.

maxtor contacts. i think you want this number 1-800-262-9867. they will want you to have the serial number for the drive ready

AgNa said:
nahh I live In Argentina and theres no Maxtor Argentina or Maxtor Latin America. My problem is that the place where I bought the drive is closed now. I did a Research for Maxtor Resellers here but they all refuse to acept my hard drive to do the RMA cos I didn`t buy the drive to them:rolleyes: . I even said I could pay them for the shipping and time it will take, cos my fear is not to make the right steps, that`s all; but they still refused:( :(

So I will not buy any Maxtor drive in future.....The shipping policy of the drive is wrose than other 3 competitors. They want us that we must buy the drive via the offical agent...:(

I received the excel file from Maxtor too....

You should contact Maxtor support, and tell them your agent has been closed down. And ask their help....

Ok I decided to Call Maxtor Since they never replyed my email. After beeing like 15 minutes on HOLD (remember I`m calling from Argentina to USA!!!) I lady didn`t explain me how to fill that crappy Invoice Proforma, so she gave me a FAX number to send there my question. And they promise me I will have a reply in the next 24-48Hs:rolleyes: So now It`s just wait and see:(

Just RMA'ed a 60 Gig Maxtor HDD about a month ago, and got the quickest service imaginable from Maxtor. I know that there must be a vast difference between how they handle RMA's from the US in comparison to elsewhere, but just wanted to say that my experience with their customer service was excellent...I had my replacement drive within 48 hours of their receipt and testing of the defective drive...

Wishing you good luck with your RMA...and will check back here to see how it goes for you...

Ok time for some Updates. After I call maxtor and send the FAX I never got a reply so I sent another email. this tieme I got a 24hs reply

Customer (Entered by TSJeff65) 10/15/2003 04:12 PM
Dear Sir,

I apologize for the long delay, we are currently attempting to reply to you inquiry. You should receive a detail email from this office out lining for you the proper procedures for filling out this form.

I would expect you to have this reply within 24 to 48 hrs. Please contact this office back immediately if you do not hear back from us within the time frame I quoted you above.

Sincerely,

TSJeff1
Maxtor Technical Support

That was on 15Th oct. and today it`s 23 and still no reply, I sent another mail yesterday and when I acces "My stuff" on Maxtor Webpage to see the mail adress I found that my problem apears as solved :mad: :eek: I sent another mail and still no reply. Now Maxtor is blacklisted for me :mad:

Back