• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hdd problem but might be something different help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Creizai

Registered
Computer Specs:
Generic Mobo
Generic 256 DDR RAM
Pentium 4 @ 1.7 (stock speed)
37 gig hdd
geforce 4 ti 4600
WindowsXP Home ( /w restore CD)

History:
I bought the computer about a year ago at Microcenter, the computer is called a powerspec. Everything I had in it one year ago is still in there. The day I got it I Installed the Geforce 4 ti 4600 AGP Card. Its all still in there nothign has changed.

What Happened:
I had deleted and restored with the restore cd i got when i bought the computer ( a 2 CD set ). I updated Windows Drivers and files from there site. Afterward I got some other programs (Winamp, BitTorrent, aim, Ect). I had 3 Downloads going on BitTorrent (None Where done) Talking on AIM, and listening to Winamp radio when My computer got REALLY REALLY LAGGY. I tried to work through it and it just shutoff by it self and restarted.

I was treated to a new error I've never seen before. Here is what the screen was.

attachment.php

After that I played .. and Played .. but it wouldn't let me put in my Restore CD! So I got another hdd... worked fine! (of course loaded windows 98 & all the other Drivers from the other computer so I put in boot disk! WOOOO ... Ok It all worked fine restored completely. Restarted it said instead now
" Insert Boot Disk " .......

So I pop in a Windows Xp Pro CD ..
" Insert Boot Disk " .......

Ok So I grab another hdd STILL says

" Insert Boot Disk " Unable to get my restore CD to work at ALL!

So Finaly I give up and put in my old hdd back in and play and play with the BIOS ect. till i can get the Restore CD WORKING Happy Happy Well I goes threw the 1st CD and ask me to Switch ........... I do Leave for about 3 hours come back ... guess what?

Take a look
attachment.php

Need a Closer LooK?

It Stopped DEAD on 0% ..... Now Looking at the CD its Nice HARDLY NO scratch's At all (Also note this is the shot is from the 2nd time I did it the First time I got this BLUE SCREEN AFTER SO LONG Didn't get a shot of it but said somethign about Kernal_something_something)

Anyway this is close up.

attachment.php

Ok Now I Just shot off the computer completely and try to mess with it to load without going into restore again.. This is what i get

of course this is because the Restore CD Cannot finish....

Any Idea's At all???

attachment.php

Also If pics do not show up here is link to forum were pics are there.
Here

First of all, restore your bios to default settings. There should be this option in the first level of the bios.

Then go into advanced bios features and set first boot device to CD-ROM, second to hard disk (probably IDE0)

Then, I'd be inclined to say, just install Windows XP from the CD, and not use that restore CD, as you seem to have Windows XP cd.

----------------------------------------------------------

1st screenshot:

verifying DMI pool data is not an error. your computer always does this, but normally you don't see it as it goes by so fast.

it is rather strange that your HD was recognized, but could not boot. maybe windows got ****ed that time.

---------------------------------------------------------

2nd and 3rd sreenshot:

if you can, just forget that restore CD, and use the Windows XP installation CD.

it is possible that your 40GB hard drive is dead for some reason.

you mentioned a new HD, did you buy a new hard disk then? I wasn't sure if that's what you mean.

if you did, install Windows XP onto your new hard disk.

4th screenshot:

looks like your 40GB hard drive is not completely dead, but could be malfunctioning.

the bootloader was working, but as there were no files on the hard drive, the bootloader tells you it can't find the file.

to summarise:

reset bios and set first boot to CD, second to HD.

your 40GB HD isn't completely dead, but could be malfunctioning.

if you have a new hard disk, use Windows XP CD to install onto this new hard disk.

Last edited:
Back