• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are the problems with 3.8 fixed yet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Even if there are problems, the 3.8 release is the 3.8 release, they will not change it and re-release it. ATI has never done that (as far as I know), if there are bug fixes they will be made in the 3.9 or a later release.

And what problems are you talking about specifically? I have no problems using the 3.8 driver.

Some people always seem to have problems when any new drivers come out.. so, it's just normal to hear of problems when new drivers come out.

q149 said:
Some people always seem to have problems when any new drivers come out.. so, it's just normal to hear of problems when new drivers come out.

Yeah, but I've heard a lot of people complaining about these drivers, but never a description of the problem. It's starting to irk me; like when CS players complain about the latest patch.

i should have taken a pic, o well i have already went back to the 3.7's and i am not changing it again just get a picture, but yeah it scared the #$%# out of me. I thought that my card went bad.

Everything in halo renders correctly for me. Although, if I minimize the game I can't maximize it, I just get a black screen. I have to close out the game and re-enter it. I never had that problem with the 3.7's. ATI really screwed up these drivers it seems.

Seem to work fine for me ... in fact my graphics seem to be more smoother ... haven't had any problems since installing these drivers .... :)

About Halo: that one I know doesn't work with Omega 3.7 you get the "direct x cannot be started" kind of error. I uninstalled the Omega drivers and installed the official Catalyst 3.8s + control panel and it worked fine then. I'm wondering if some people aren't uninstalling their old drivers properly first; you're not supposed to install ATI/Omega drivers over old versions, uninstall old version first, reboot then install new!

BIB said:
i should have taken a pic, o well i have already went back to the 3.7's and i am not changing it again just get a picture, but yeah it scared the #$%# out of me. I thought that my card went bad.

Let me guess: Halo has no textures, right?

Happens to all Radeon 9x00 cards. This is from the Halo MSKB:

ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128
You may experience inconsistent graphic performance with textures if you set the Mipmap Detail Level in the ATI Direct3D Control Panel to any setting except High Quality.

Happened to me, too. Not the drivers fault.

humdinger said:
About Halo: that one I know doesn't work with Omega 3.7 you get the "direct x cannot be started" kind of error. I uninstalled the Omega drivers and installed the official Catalyst 3.8s + control panel and it worked fine then. I'm wondering if some people aren't uninstalling their old drivers properly first; you're not supposed to install ATI/Omega drivers over old versions, uninstall old version first, reboot then install new!

You make a good point. You've gotta remember to uninstall your driver suites! Remove any tweaker programs, then the Control Panel, then the drivers. Restart, and install your new drivers, restart again.

There is a new suite of omega drivers out. (not the ones based on 3.8, a newer one based on leaked (3.9??)drivers)

Back