• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can a cpu just die during use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lt. Max

my proc just seemed to have gave up after i took my pump off and fixed it and reinstalled my watercooling system.. i was just chilling in windows running prime seeing how high my temp would go with an unbled system and then suddently my monitor goes blank.. i havent had time to touch the system yet.. but i hope a cpu doesnt just die click like that..
Super-SNDS

anyone got ideas? i havent gone back to it yet cause im playin some scrabble with my family and snuck off to my moms comp real quick to post this..

max

It's an ongoing debate.

Some say only heat kills quickly. Other say voltage does too.

I think hitechjb's argument about voltage decreasing the long term life of a CPU but voltage not being to able to kill a CPU in a short period of time (as long as the cooling keeps the temps reasonable) makes sense.

Someone has yet to give a convincing argument otherwise here.

My guess would be that heat killed your CPU. Improperly mounted cooling can cause this...

well.. the problem is.. neither of those were a factor. i was running default voltage and it was loading at 44C according to the ABIT sensor (which shows too high already) i also have removed the heatspreader.. so i am now wondering if i cracked the chip somehow..

max

ok update..
question: does an error code mean the cpu is not dead? because i just took everything except my cpu/vid card/1 stick of ram off and i got a long short short.. that means my cpu works right?!

max

Do you have another vid card to try in it? Have you tried reseating Existing Vid card and Ram? re set CMOS and see if it boots up? I had a simular prob with my sys after doing some maint. on my H2o and I ended up just reseating every thing and cleaing CMOS and the all was well.

ok... why do computers act like girls?
they crave for attention. it works now.. but i had to yet again reseat everything for it to work. annoying !@#!$@ heh.

o well
gg
max

long-short-short if I remember is a video card failure. Sounds like reseating didnt the trick. Its not the first time I have had to do t that to get a system back. Could have just been a weak connection or the card got a lil loose during your work inside the unit. GLAD to hear its working. Nothing bumms me out more than a sad tail of a burned up beast. Especially when its myown junk. hehe. Them chips are pretty tough. I know too I have been surprised at some of the beatings they take. Again glad its ok

Back