• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8KNXP/8IK1100 Owners : Did I 'cheap out' on memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aj

Well, there's another weekend shot to hell.

I just bought a Gigabyte 8IK1100 (aka the stripped down 8KNXP). It replaces my Gigabyte 8PE667, which died a slow-but-honorable death.

Trouble is - I was hoping to re-use my two Crucial PC2700 CL2.5 333mHz 512MB DDR chips with the new board.

Is that even possible? I've had a devil of a time getting this board to stabilize at all with this "old" memory. Hours of tinkering at this point.... lots of crashes at first, even when reloading XP. Slowly, it's stabilizing (I'm running Prime95 right now, fingers crossed).

But it's not at all where I want it: I had to ratchet the memory down to 266 mHz, CAS of 3, DIMM overvolt at +.2, and a bunch of other reallllly relaxed (read: slow) timings. And that's only with one chip in. If I pop the other chip in to go dual channel, I can't get a stable boot. And I'm not even overclocking yet.

Am I f-cked? Do I need to just buy new memory now? If so, which kind works & is SUPER stable with this mb (two 512mb's, preferrably)? Specs are below.

best,
aj
detroit

Specs
-------
2.53 Intel p4 533 fsb processor
Gigabyte 8IK1100 motherboard
Radeon 9100 64MB AGP video card
Antec SmartPower 300W ps
Two Crucial PC2700 CL2.5 333mHz 512MB DDR chips (model #PC2700U-25330-b1)
Maxtor 80gb drive

I am running Geil and havent had a memory problem yet. Seems like most people say the Geil runs good in Gigabyte boards. Good luck.

This is the exact memory Im running. GeIL PC3200 400MHz DDR 512MB (2 x 256MB) Dual Channel ULD Series Memory

edit: Opps, I forgot. Welcome to the forums. If this doesnt really help, read the memory forums and then try posting one in there.

Last edited:
i think you are having problems because those two sticks arent running syncronized (sp?) and that is wrecking havoc on you stability since the 8IK1100 is a dual channel board

Now, I must say that I'm having a simular problem with my 8ik1100 2.0 board. I just got ahold of some hyperam PC4200 DDR, good stuff according to reviews. But guess what? I can't even run stock 200FSB with this board & memory without it crashing windows (if it even gets in lol). I can do it with one stick, but if I go to say 205fsb, then it crashes again. Now, the funny thing is that I can back the FSB down and run the memory in async mode and run it at 480DDR, that's with both sticks installed, but yet I can't run 400MHz? I'm starting to think this mobo sux big ones now.

Back