• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I in fact OC my old K6/200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

QQQ

Help,
I'm trying to keep the old girl useful...
I ran it by mistake for hours w/CPU fan disconnected, no problem, stable w/ only the heatsink there.
What should I do? These are my current MOBO jumper settings (and alternates).
External Clock: 66MHz (75 or 83), Internal Clock: 2.5x (K6 3.0x or K6 3.5x), Core voltage: 2.9v (2.5, 2.8, 3.2, 3.3, or 3.5v). CAVEAT: My not-really-an-Asus mobo doesn't exactly correlate with manual, so some of the settings may be suspect, particularly the clock speeds - I think Int. speed is set at 2.5x (from looking at it and the manual), but 66MHz x 2.5 is only 166, not the 200 it appears to be really running at.
Please forgive this newbie's verbosity and give me the benefit of your wisdom. Should I just go ahead and switch jumpers? which ones? which one first?
I live on an island miles away from pavement and junk food, so please help if you can.
Thanks
P.S. I'm insanely jealous of your rigs.

The old K6 200 should have no problem going to 225 thru using the multiplier. My K6-200@225 ran for years like that. As for the extrnal clock, I did not have much luck with that side because of the PCI bus multiplier ...some things just don'y like running at 38 Mhz on the PCI slots. I left the chip voltage the same. If you could snag the MB ID number as it boots up, you may be able to determine the actual mfr and get a "better" manual.

Yep, I have also made a K-2 200MHz run at 225MHz (Or 233MHz, I can't really remember). It's just as stable at 225 as it is at 200MHz

Back