• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I now have a PSU muffler.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1Time

I used the box for my PSU. First I lined it with sound deadening matting similar to Dynamat. Then I put a horizontal divider in it just above the PSU fan so the air flows to the back, then up, and back toward the case before exiting the hole in the top of the muffler. I secured it with clear packing tape and sealed the small openings between the case and muffler with small strips of the sound deadening matting.

How's it work? It significantly reduced what noise I heard from the PSU and the HD that's mounted next to the PSU, and with no measurable increase in temps. I like it. :)

Can you get any pictures to post for us? I think it sounds interesting.

Tyl0r said:
Can you get any pictures to post for us? I think it sounds interesting.

I may be able to tomorrow when I hope to have access to my new free website here. If that doesn't work, perhaps not.

Here's a link that shows a drawing of my air flow. You can skip the intro or just wait a few seconds then you'll need to click on the tab "1Time's Airflow Picture". The box in the top left of the drawing is the PSU's muffler. The PSU is mounted sideways so the 92mm fan aims toward the front side panel. The 120mm fans are 7volted and the 92mm fans run at 20CFM. The whole thing's pretty quiet now. The box on the bottom is wooden and is also lined with the sound deadening matting. The opening for the intake is about 3" x 8" and has a filter in it.

Last edited:
Back