• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why would my computer reboot Itself while playing a game or freezeup Please HELP!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ReTiCuLeX

Why would my computer reboot Itself while playing a game or freezeup Please HELP!!

I have a 1.2 Ghz TB 266 Fsb and Asus A7M266 with Samsung ddr ram 256mbs PC2100 I tried returning my motherboard 3 times 3 diff motherboards and I returned my ram yesterday im waiting for a new cpu in the mail from AMD i mailed my 1.4Ghz which I cracked the core of.I changed every part im my comp nemerous times except my hardrive and my cpu I have cheapo radioshack thermal paste btw I ran out of articsilver.My computer it always reboots itself while playing a game or crashes me out of the game any 1 have an idea why could it be my CPU ? my 1.2 core is cracked slightly on 2 dif sides of it its like nicked off pieces. Now I gota wait for amd to send me a new CPU to try that.Plz reply asap this comp is a pain im tierd of going back the chinese guy hes gona like hit me with a stick for bringing back my motherboard so many times and it still don't work.thx..........ReTiCuLe G)Ds

P.S. : My signature post was my last motherboard that I had with my 1.2 and it still messes up Btw It isn't overclocked at the moment at all.

If it's only happening while you play games I would say it's a video card prob. Does it happen if you try Prime95 or any other cpu stress test. I just put in a Radeon and ever since I have been getting random deep freezes even when running at default. It also may be yuor power supply, is it a name brand 300W or a generic? If it's a generic it could be causing the problem. The only other thing I can think of is IRQ probs, I had an FIC VA503+, when I installed a PCI modem and a PCI soundcard, the comp would restart randomly. I wound up having to update the bios and move the cards around about 9 million times before I got it to work. Hope this at least gives you a direction to go in, good luck.

Fiz

it does give me random lock ups and alot of illigale operations with explorer etc...... and I get blue screen sum times while gaming or lockup or reboot itself that comp IS NOT OVERCLOCKED AT ALL! and my voltage is at 1.9 on jumper free mode I duno why.

Try disableing the ACPI in the bios.

You also might try running your video card fan off of a drive power lead instead of letting it use the agp bus power.

Fess_ter

Fiz (Jun 17, 2001 02:18 p.m.):
If it's only happening while you play games I would say it's a video card prob. Does it happen if you try Prime95 or any other cpu stress test. I just put in a Radeon and ever since I have been getting random deep freezes even when running at default. It also may be yuor power supply, is it a name brand 300W or a generic? If it's a generic it could be causing the problem. The only other thing I can think of is IRQ probs, I had an FIC VA503+, when I installed a PCI modem and a PCI soundcard, the comp would restart randomly. I wound up having to update the bios and move the cards around about 9 million times before I got it to work. Hope this at least gives you a direction to go in, good luck.

Fiz

Try setting your AGP to 2x and/or disabling fast writes (experiment and see which or if either or both solve the problem). It's not a Radeon problem, it's a result of crappy motherboard chipsets.

I have seen this problem on other forums, however not a cure as of yet.. perhaps the problem is to do AMD 760 chipset used by the Asus A7M266 which is known to have problems as reported on overclockers.com and pasted below.

Are You Having Some Problems (Particularly Video Problems) With Your AMD760 mobo? It may be due to errata in the mobo chipset. Take a look here

Toms hardware also during the review on the Asus makes these interesting points which may help you.

There might be problems with the board design of the memory interface in general, as all three testing candidates prefer not to use more than two slots. One positive aspect to point out is that the Asus A7M266 offers the option of adjusting the voltage for the DDR memory modules. This allows aggressive memory timing while avoiding stability problems. We don't know however, how well the DDR-memory takes an increased voltage over a longer period.

So perhaps you might have a voltage problem related to DDR memory (ie not enough voltage?)

Are you able to up the AGP voltage in 4x mode past 1.5v upto say 1.7v or more ? This usually helps stabilise 3D operations on power hungry cards a great deal

Hi, I had the exact same problem, it turned out to be a bad harddrive, as soon as I replaced it, everything ran great...

wild_andy_c (Jun 18, 2001 07:22 a.m.):
Are you able to up the AGP voltage in 4x mode past 1.5v upto say 1.7v or more ? This usually helps stabilise 3D operations on power hungry cards a great deal

well I duno how to do that lol ill go look thoe.My comp doesn't just do it in gaming now it also does it runing simple programs like IE while surfing the web ill get a blue screen the the top of my screen will have a line across it a blue like lil 1.

Btw Guys my last motherboard the MSI K7T 266 Pro did this too it would lockup the same exact ways. My cpu is cracked also the core a lil nick of it is off but it still works.

Souns like your video card,Be cause I had a cheapo grafic card in my old cyrix 266 GXm, close to the left side of tehh screen if you stared at it long enough you would notice something that looked like water running down the sreen from top to bottom in a very narrow stream...it would moe side to side exactly like water...any the pc locked up in games like Tribes 1, And I tried everything from bios upgrad eto hardrive changeing. Then I tried a diff video card and the "water" went away and it hasnt locked up since. Evne though all it does is sit in my room and play mp3s now. but it would reset or lockup whenever it felt like it guess.

So have your changed your video card?

Edit well wait you have geforce 3..i donno then. unless it is messed up. which i dont see why.

ReTiCuLe (Jun 18, 2001 02:19 p.m.):
Btw Guys my last motherboard the MSI K7T 266 Pro did this too it would lockup the same exact ways. My cpu is cracked also the core a lil nick of it is off but it still works.

Are there any components from your old system in your new system? I would suspect those.

I just reformated install everything and got this error when I clicked inertnet explorer and was browsing web. An fatal exception OD has occured at 0028:c148DE04 in VXD VIP (01) + 00006884 this was called from 0028:c001c3d4 in VXD NDIS(D1) + 00004860

I have a feeling it is your hd. Did you replace that at all? I would suspect it is your hd because of the errors you get outside of games too. Try replacing the hd if you can.

Back