• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

zalman psu's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

Would you guys recommend buying a Zalman psu to quiet down my overall computer noise level because they seem to be the "masters of noise reduction." Also do you guys think they have any good specs for overclocking? Thanks.

Anandtech sure seemed to like the Zalman ZM400A-APF in their 2003 psu roundup.

Quote from their review... "Overall, the surprise victors of this roundup were Fortron and Zalman. Both included virtually identical units in the review and both performed extremely well, especially in the sound tests. However, since the Fortron units are priced about $20 lower than the Zalman units, we have to give our editor’s choice award to the Fortron."

Check it out here http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1841&p=1

Fairly certain that the 400watt zalman is a fortron unit with some tweaks (such as quiter fan). If you are not overclocking that machine a ton then the 350W fortron with 120mm fan would be able to power it no problem. If you are looking for a quite PSU then you should strongly consider that one.

I really like the Zalman line of PSUs. I have one in the 'very quiet' system I'm building for a musician brother... it definitely does its job well.

Zalman is dedicated to low noise, though the 350w fortron with the 120mm fan has the best value, with Zalman's tweaks -- i'm sure the Zalman's produce less noise since fortrons speed up when you first turn the unit on then goes into a quiet state or when it gets too hot. They are very good for overclocking. Can't go wrong with either.

sup3rcarrx8 said:
So a fortron is basically a Zalman psu with a differnet fan? Is taht what you guys are trying to say to me?

Actually zalman is a Fortron with a different fan. Fortron actually manufactures them not Zalman.

heavy1 said:
Anandtech sure seemed to like the Zalman ZM400A-APF in their 2003 psu roundup.

Quote from their review... "Overall, the surprise victors of this roundup were Fortron and Zalman. [/url]
Only a surprise if you are a PC newb.

sup3rcarrx8 said:
Oh i see. Do you guys think that the Zalmans are noticably quieter than Fortrons or are they the same?

If quiet is the goal get the 350W fortron with the 120mm fan from newegg for $36.

Back