• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1800+ JIXHB Retail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hellfire

1800+ JIXHB Retail = Very Bad OC

I just got this 1800+ JIXHB from fry's today /w ECS which iwas going to sell on ebay but I'm thinking of returning it now as it takes 1.775 volts to run at 2.2GHZ!!!!! My 1700+ plus ran at 2.4Ghz at this voltage. Do you think it is just bad luck?!? The color of this 1800+ core was inconsistant but my 1700+ was consistantly and evenly red. Do you think the processor I got was just junk??? I hate going back to fry's to return this thing. Do you think it could be anything else limiting it. BTW im using an SLK-800 /w Smart Fan II. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:
Don't return stuff just because it doesn't overclock as much as you want it to.

give it time i got a niucb from newegg and when i first put it in it wouldnt even get to windows at 2525 no matter on what i gave it for vcore now it will sit all day at 2600at 1.93v it only took about 20min burn in and then it would run windows at 2500 no prob. so i let it run at thet over night @ 2500 crunching seti then the next day it went to 2600 then if i pushed it i could get into windows at 2650

I must return it because this chip doesn't even run stable at stock speeds with 1.85 volts. I ran prime95 for 8 hours and it failed @ stock speeds!!!! it made a rounding error, i tried it twice and it failed twice. I don't even know why this chip running so bad. It fails at 2.2Ghz with 1.775volts in 3 hours. It can even run stock at stock voltage. I get BSOD in 5 minutes for running prime95 at stock everything.

Last edited:
does it pass prime stock speeds and volts. If so its unethical to return it. sell it on ebay or something.

No, I just bought it the other day and it doesnt even pass prime95 at stock speeds with stock voltage within 5 minutes i get a BSOD which isnt suppost to happen since i havent done anything to it. It is ethical to return it because I have not does not even run at the speeds they sold it to me as. I thought these chips were good but it cant even run stable at its stock speeds. i know it isnt my memory or anything because it with my 1700+ i can run prime95 as long as i want stable at stock speeds. So i know this proccesor is a scrap.

Last edited:
How come you are now saying that it doesnt even run at stock speeds and voltages using Prime when your original post made no mention of this? If what you are now claiming is true - then there is no debate on the matter.

I didn't state this in the orginal post because at that time i didn't test it at stock speeds yet i just wanted to overclock. What i did after that was try to burn it at stock speeds with increased voltage but it failed. So i dropped it back down to regular voltage and it failed. So then I came on to the forums to say that it doesn't even work at stock which is why im going to return it.

But you should have burnt it in at an underclocked speed to keep temps under control. Even putting that to one side you got a cpu - didnt even try to run at stock and merely upped the vcore by 20% (outwith manufacturers tolerance). The onus is yours not the manufacturers for running outwith specification. You cant reasonably prove that it wasnt running normally before because by your own statement you didnt even try until after overvolting and overclocking.

Tip: Always test your CPU at stock specifications for a small period of time at high stress to rule out a bum part. That way you know you're all good to overclock and you know exactly when you are breaking the terms of warranty. I'd return it if what you say is true.

Welcome to the Forums.

First, try running memtest86 at your default speeds first. You might have bad ram.

EDIT: I reread the thread and saw that you think it is not your memory. Try memtest anyway beacause it if it throws errors, then it might be your MB and/or RAM. 'Gotta eliminate that for sure before moving on. If you get errors, try another memory slot, try one stick, etc.

I agree that it is unethical to return a CPU that isn't a hardcore overclocker. Case in point, I was disappointed with my Barton AQXCA. I could only get 2.15Ghz out of it (10x215), while everyone else was getting 2.2, 2.3, etc.

Now, a few months later (after the weather has begun to cool) I went back and started the whole OC process over. Not only did I find a memory error that I must have overlooked before, but I found that certian combinations of memory timings would throw memtest86 into a tizzy. Now I am running 2.2 stable, with no memory errors, stable in all sorts of stress tests. Much happier.

It takes a lot of systematic and controlled testing to find the best max OC. Popping the sucker in and cranking everything up the first time isn't the way to do it. And if you get a sub-par OC'er, it isn't the vendor's fault- it is the luck of the draw!

Lastly, go read the newegg feedback on the 1700+. There are scores of people that got a T-Bred A, instead of the desired T-Bred B, that just said "oh well, this is good enough for now." And if they weren't right about it, they sold it. Easy enough.

Good luck.

Also, it seems odd to me that it would overclock at all if you aren't runnign stable at stock speeds to start with. If you can't run stable at 1500mhz with 1.85v, it seems odd that you would even hit 2200mhz at 1.775v.

If the color of the core is uneven, meaning that it isn't one solid color, and if it fails prime95 at stock speeds and voltage, there are two possibilities.

One - you just got a lemon and returning it is your only option - if it won't run stock at stock voltages.

Two - you buggered your chip by plugging it and going straight to a 200 FSB and a Vcore hop.

I dunno man, this seems fishy, and I think that you might have just screwed your chip up. You should always do a 4 hour prime session at stock to see what temperatures are like before overclocking anyways.

I think you should just buy a new chip and make a keychain - returning this one will be a huge hassle for you, and I think it is questionable whether or not returnig it is not just being a cheapo.

Of course, you *might* just want to check your temperatures - if they are in the low 80s then you know what your problem is.

And selling it on eBay at this point would be a very sleazy thing to do.

Back