• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plaid background! Any help for 9800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LarryRE

Registered
After drilling holes and mounting a thermalright AX-7 to my 9800np I get a puke plaid background on everything. Used insulated nutsand bolts. Checked that the VPU height is just above the shim and did not remove the shim. Used ceramique with baggy method. I tried remounting the original heatsink with a clean application of ceramique. Tried the card in another system. Even reflashed the bios. Still puke plaid everywhere. SOunds to me liked like I'm F*****D!!!! Any suggestions?

the heatsink is above the shim? are you sure its making contact with the core? the shim is probably hindering the contact with the core and heatsink

edit: nvm you said VPU is above the shim not heatsink

The core is slightly higher than the shim, so the heatsink engages the core. I now have the AX-7 removed and the original back on.
I still get this plaid effect. It does remind me of bad memory artifacting. I should try clocking it way down to see if it's a heat effect. But I'm thinking I cruched the core slightly (it's not evident) or static zapped it.

What did you drill the holes in? I hope not the PCB, it's made in layers and there are unseen traces in there.

peace.
unloaded

UnLoadeD said:
What did you drill the holes in? I hope not the PCB, it's made in layers and there are unseen traces in there.

peace.
unloaded

thats where you are supposed to drill them, you just have to know where:p

stan03 said:

thats where you are supposed to drill them, you just have to know where:p

I plan to upgrade the cooling on my 9800, but there has to se something less risky then that. I'll mod anything and am pretty daring, but I would never drill holes in my video card. One small move will cut a thin strip of metal in the silicone and your done.

billstuck said:

I plan to upgrade the cooling on my 9800, but there has to se something less risky then that. I'll mod anything and am pretty daring, but I would never drill holes in my video card. One small move will cut a thin strip of metal in the silicone and your done.

i don't plan on doing it either, i think LarryRE drilled a hole where a hole should not be.

If you guys are drilling holes in PCB's you're nuts! I've never seen it done before, point me to some links on it. If I were gonna drill anything it would be the bottom of the heatsink and tap it. That way I could use the exsisting holes on the board.

peace.
unloaded

edit for typos.

Wow! I guess I'm just not a good writer. I am am ex-electronics tech and have been in the computer business since before the PC was a twinkle in IBMs eyes. Drilling a multi-layer printed circuit board is a wontonly stupid act. I drill the heatsink only!!!!
Wish I could in good conscience RMA this but odds are it's my fault.

UnLoadeD said:
If you guys are drilling holes in PCB's you're nuts! I've never seen it done before, point me to some links on it. If I were gonna drill anything it would be the bottom of the heatsink and tap it. That way I could use the exsisting holes on the board.

peace.
unloaded

edit for typos.

i *thought* i saw it before, but i could be mistaken

Back