• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need the best DECODING sytem (not encoding)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps24eva

Registered
I'm dissappointed no one ever runs benches of mpeg2 decoding, or WMP9 decoding.

Anyway I need to decode STREAMING HDTV 422 and 420 mpeg2 (so its hi-res, not crappy low-res). Basically I'm tapping into the master source of HDTV (ABC football, primetime tv shows etc.) But its not the subject of this forum:)

Intel 2.8C oc'd to 3.6 at 1:1 ratio

OR FX51 oc'd?

The fact your name is regarding a craptastic console as god says bad things :p.

For decoding its pretty much the same story as encoding since its reading one source and dumping to another. So the fastest encoder will be your best bet eg. a p4 overclocked like mad.

Also if your bringing this in over your vid card i'd suggest a 9800 AIW since it will do the fastest streaming for vivo of the cards out there.

And don't forget about HDD speeds.... having a shiny GFX and a overclocked CPU will not do u any good if u have a slow HDD.... try getting 2xWD 80G 8MB chache in a RAID 0 ;)

Most video cards will do MPEG2 decoding in hardware, right? You shouldn't have any speed problems... A rage 128 pro and a 1GHz duron will be more than enough for that.

But, if you really want power, a P4 would probably do you. And try to wait a little and get two of the new Raptors coming out in november if you want a raid 0 array.

Here's the thing

Everybody knows P4's can encode fast as hell and I know this as well.

People assume, that they decode fast as well, but this is not as true. A microsoft guy who worked on the WMP9 codec told me as much.

I agree, though on the RAID-0 setup, that is a given.

hey and don't make fun of my name:p lol

guess you guys aren't into the ps2 scene...

Last edited:
Back