• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking a 1GHz athlon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blader_insane

ok.....i have a 1GHz athlon and i'm a newb at overclocking...i need info on how to overclock my athlon but the sad part is my 1GHz athlon is overheating even when its not overclocked cuz i only have 2 fans...i have to have a huge fan next to the open case.....my budget is like 200-300 bux....i would like the CPU to run at like 1300+MHz....how many fans and how much money would it cost me?....where can i get more info on overclocking.....?

lets get a system rundown! Such as motherboard, hsf, what the two fans you run are etc. We can get you there probably well within that price range.

You have a great chip there dood, Hopefully it is an AXIA or AVIA (the code on top of your CPU). This awesome chip will do 1.4 easy with good cooling. Good Luck!!

blader, if you indeed having overheating issues, this is the first thing that needs to be addressed.

In addition to the items that William has requested, it would be helpful to know how you are getting your temperatures reported, and what symptoms you are experiencing from overheating.

The more information about your hardware and overall cooling situation, ambient temperatures, case, CPU and the means that these temperatures were arrived at, the better the likelihood of getting you some relief from the heat.

T

I had the same problem with my 1ghz tbird (axia). It got overheated with cover off and the super orb. I understood that the superorb suck.

Well. You won´t give up that easy when you just spent 26 dollars on a pretty bad heatsink.
So i bought at first 2 Titan 80mm 37 CFM fans which I positioned right in front of the heatsink. This lowered the temp A LOT. Adding 2 more fans just beneath the other ones and sucking are out lowered the temps a bit more. I managed to overclock my CPU to 1380 stable (8.5 x 162). Idle temp 42 C load 45 C.

Well the thing is that I didn't build my PC but buy it.....i was thinking on building it but i didn't have much time so i just bought one so thats y i can't tell u anything about the heatsink, on the motherboard it saizz GA-7DX REV 2.2 the two fans in there r 95mm..ones pushing air in the other one is pushing out.....the PC overheats on warm days and i don't use any programs to find out but my computer freezes makes a F***ed up sound and i get a green line on the top of the screen.....well there r two small fans...one is on the CPU and theres another small one but i don't know on what......umm........i have 128DDR RAM....a 16MB video card etc.

well for any kind of decent advice, we need to know more, the fan and heatsink that is in your pic looks a bit better than the stock cool-master, but if it is getting hot, change that bad boy for a better H/S-fan combo. did you get any manuels with your box to tell what M/B you have? If the H/S comes off pretty easy, maybe you can lap it. (sanding the bottom of the H/S until mirror smooth) while it is off, record the codes on the top of the CPU, this will only help you in the future to know these codes. I hope some of this helps. PS, artic cilver on the bottom of the heatsink when you install it will help a bit more. Good luck!!

Dont let anyone tell you jack, the best Heatsink made to date that money can buy is the Thermaltake DRAGONORB!!!. My temperature is 32c idle / 55c full load. LOL and thats running with 2.00Volts @ 1.84GHz. The only thing I will have to mention also is that I have 18 80mm case fans running all in one 24" ATX Server case. And its about as loud as a 12amp vacuum cleaner! :) As you can tell I love computers hehe.

MY Workstation Specs:
Abit KG7-RAID
AMD Athlon T-bird 1.4GHz @ 1.84GHz (320MHz Bus!)
2GB PC2400 DDR-Ram @ CL2
2X 60GB 7200rpm Maxtor Hard Drives in RAID 0 and 4 80GB External firewire hard drives. = 440GB Total Hard Drive Space
SBLive! Plantinum 5.1+ Sound
24" View Sonic Professional Series CRT Monitor.
Hercules Prophet III @ 250C/530M.
24" Full ATX with 1Kwatt Power Supply (1050Watts), and 18!!! 80mm case fans to keep the CPU cool.

To my knowledge, I've got the fastest CPU specs that are Air cooled using of course the one and only DragonORB!!!

Back