• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bigger than 1/2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

is there any reason a wc unit could not have bigger tubing like 3/4 tubing or reason it should not other than big tubing takes up more space

squeakygeek said:
That and bigger tubing has a larger bend radius, so it's harder to work with.

Yup.

If you want to go to a bigger diameter pipe, think about something rigid, like PVC or CPVC. I'm currently using 3/4" CPVC in my rig and it's working great. When I first set things up, so much water was flowing through my MCW-462UH, it was emmiting a high pitched whistle. Very cool.

If you go this route, use two 45 deg bends instead of a single 90, dry fit everything, and put alingment marks on everything so you can glue it in its correct position.

Going with rigid tubing requires LOTS of planning and preparation, but I feel it's well worth it.

Its changed some, but here's a link.

Eventually connection pump _. radiator can be made using big tubing, rest - small.

btw
UberBlue's rig is very nice and can be trerated as example of monster tubing setup.

It's getting bigger. I'm dithcing the 3/4" and going for a full 1". With an Iwaki MD-20RZ, the water velocity is 3.66 ft/sec for 1/2" vs 1.3 ft/sec for 1" @ zero head.

I'm currently using 5/8" ID tubing and instead of bending it, using copper elbows for the turns (the elbows are smooth turning, not sharp and made for 1/2" OD tubing which is a tight fit to put 5/8" tubing over the outside of.

Currently, my idle sometimes drops to 30C and hardly ever gets above 36C even with prime running.

Uber your setup is totaly sweet but I am to lazy to do that much planning and prep

+ I like to getinto my case periodicaly

Mine is almost all 1" just a couple small sections have 1/2" tygon due to flexibility needs; it's an external setup so has more tubing hence better to have larger diameter. I get excellent temps (33C CPU load)

The only real issue is using it on smaller fittings (mine are all 1/2") I overcame that by putting on a tiny bit of 1/2" on the problem barbs and then sliding the 1" tubing over that, then clamping - been running a few weeks now without any trouble. If I get some spare time I might try and replace as many as possible with bigger fittings but I get excellent temps so it's not a big deal.

The other notable problem is if you have a 3 barb block such as the Whitewater it doesn't leave much room to work with (mine has 1" inlet tube, 1/2" outlets going to my vid card block)

I'm trying to get hold of a camera for pics, been meaning to for a while now but not had any luck finding one :)

Back