• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU fan mod help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dalilman52

I am going to add a fan to my psu (somewhere, not sure yet) andi wanted to know which area would have the greatest improvement, ive seen it mounted on the back, (opposite to exhaust) and below it, which is what i was thinking of doing anyways...the reason i am doing this is because theres not enough airflow inside my psu and when i feel the air coming out of the psu exhaust fan, its super hot and all the teeny holes on the psu allow about a crack of air in, anyways i am going to replace the fan inside and replace them with sf I's for max cooling!! (not really)
________
SLOVENIAN COOKING

Last edited:
This is a link to an article about building a quiet computer from the ground up.

On the third page, He states that there is less turbulence, hence less noise, if the intake and exhaust fans are opposite each other.

The bottom-mounted fan, blowing air up and at 90 degrees to the exhaust fan, causes turbulence and a disruption in the airflow and the operation of the rear exhaust fan. This causes noise. As a result, the power supply is noisier than if it just had the exhaust fan and no intake. If you have a power supply like this and you want it to be quieter, try removing the bottom fan completely.

A better dual-fan design for power supplies is one with a rear exhaust fan and an intake fan of the same airflow specifications, mounted on the opposite side. This kind of arrangement causes less noise, since both fans are pushing air in the same direction. The design is still less-than-optimal however, because you have two noise-making fans.

The best power supply design would be one with just one exhaust fan or just one intake fan (and a passive exhaust.)

BEFORE YOU GO DABBING INSIDE A PSU MAKE SURE YOU READ SOME GUIDELINES!!

YOU CAN POTENTIALLY DIE FROM BEING SHOCKED BY ONE IF IT ISN'T DISCHARED AND YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

actually, i just gave up on trying to add a fan on the bottom, theres just way too much crap in the way and the airflow from the intake fan would be messed up with all the stuff in the way...so mission aborted
________
Free xxx amateur

Last edited:
Back