• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

power supply fan replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

I have a Sparkle 400 wt power supply that I want to replace the fan in. But the fan is wire into the PS if I just cut the wires connceting the fan to the PS will the PS still work or will it stop working because it thinks it has no fan. I was going to put a smarttfan II in and just run the power cable out the back of the powersupply and connect it to the mobo

You can swap out the fan in a power supply but don't leave the PSU without a fan and run it. It will get hot quick. If you have some soldering skillz you can butcher the wires on the smartfan and have it so that the +12v and ground wires go to the PSU connector (assuming the PSU hasn't got a thermal sensing fan - don't attempt a mod with a SFII if it has) and splice a very long cable into the fan sensing wire, then put that on the motherboard for RPM monitoring. Then either put the fan on thermal or on manual.

Back