• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

shuttle and my entry into overclocking...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

camus

Registered
well, i havent posted in a while. i have recently moved to a spankin new shuttle sn41g2, with it's nf2 mobo, and my ti4200 and unlocked 2000+ palamino.

even though shuttle promotes their i.c.e. technology to be wonderful, i was of course afraid of it from the beginning. i got much better temps (no mod) from my 1800+ that was in my server tower with stock AMD heatsink!

i must credit the heatpipe and mobo to bringing me my first experiance with overclocking, as i have successfully ran this lil guy for 5 days uptime now, at 134 fsb, 1667.90 mhz, my first actual overclock. keep in mind that i really even dont fully understand voltage and all those things, i am super noob at OC even though i have modded two other cases and various other stuff. i started out only striving for lower temps and such, but was always working with a huge case. now i am working with a shuttle. a shuttle that allows less than half an inch between the AGP card and the case. a shuttle, a gf4, and a mobo, that foolishly let me overclock them even though it will *gasp* probably KILL them!

first things first: there are 5 people i know in my town who enjoy tinkering in their computers and even know what "overclock" means. i work with the least amount of money possible. i was able to run a 1800+ at 20C solid for weeks using some ducts i made and a whole bunch of noisy fans, plus a under the CPU mod i posted pics here of. okay.

yeah, newbie OC'er meets ungangly LOUD case. i didnt even consider noise when i moved to this shuttle, i bought it because it was offered to me nearly 180$ less than retailers sold it for. i have been amazed on many levels, and so has my girl, at how stinking quiet this thing runs, even though i have FBS clocked it higher and have set the heatpipe fan to run faster. all in all, i have entered a whole new world!

so here comes where i beg for input from you guys :)

how stupid would i be if i cut open the shuttle case, to allow for more room to add some heatsinks and a bigger hs/f to my agp slot? for those who've never actually touched one, a shuttle allows for much less room than i ever thought (in pictures). my chaintech gf4 ti4200 is small now but the new fx5600 i'm buying i'm sure wont allow for much airflow between aluminum and fan. small form factor, for me, has become more of a heat problem, even though i am still striving for QUIET. i barely hit lower than 50C, and this is scary to me, considering i have a pIII server running in my closet that hardly ever tips 30C. sure, its a cooler CPU, but i've cooled furnaces before, its a matter of ventilation (and the HOT HOT HOT TV card in the shuttle too, did i mention that?)

i have posted lots of blabble as usual :) but i am also posting to let you guys know that i'll be working pretty vigorously on my new world, i will probably cut this case open but i will try to make it look good too... with a dremel and junk boxes as my tools, look out for more weird uneducated stuff. here you have my gameplan, look for a more concise version coming soon...

Last edited:
My wifes system is running on the 45n chassis which is similiar. I didn't do any serious mods to it but i did cut off the grill on the back that was restricting the airflow going past the radiator imho. Maybe try starting there!

some things i have seen done to shuttles is to replace the radiator fan with a 80mm Panaflo A12M or A12H. For the graphics card, cut a hole in the side even with the graphics card fan and duct, ie. a paper towel roll. Have u looked at the ATI 9600pro?

Nero that is an awesome design for your Shuttle 45 box! As soon as I'm finished with my system I think I am going to start working on my wifes to put the mesh on the video card side :)

Thx guys. It's more awkward, but I actually reccomend bolting the mesh to the side-panel. I used epoxy, but I know sooner or later it'll get knocked loose in transit and I'll have to scrape the epoxy off and bolt it in. The 2x 60mm fans did more than anything to help cooling, but the mesh side panel is just so functional and cool :D

About watercooling a shuttle: Now that guy has no optical drive, whereas I have a DVD burner AND my temps are only 2C higher than his (though I'll bet you his is a good deal quieter).

hey nero, are you using the heatpipe or your own hsf? my main concern right now is to COOL because with the colder months our furnace runs and the house is just warmer and i've seen 55C (!) with the heatpipe with a 1mhz fsb overclock... i just got my first tube of as and i'm going to mount the heatpipe a few more times and practice the process.

i would love to go liquid, but my computing time is precious and i simply cant have the extra hassle of water and tubes getting in the way of swapping stuff out (at the moment). water will come later, i am more interested in a 2-3 casefan solution right now.

i have this cool aluminum box that came with my new wris****ch, i was thinking of creating some sort of hinge that i could open when my agp card needs air (in overclock). that way, it would only stick out about half an inch during normal use, but it could be some sort of "flap" i could open up, maybe with one of the 20 stock AMD fans i have laying around, for gaming and showing it off.

one thing i must ask you guys because i am still unsure of the answer is: what operating system do you reccomend for benchmarking and testing? i have both xp and 98se dual booting, what do you think would give me the most accurate results from my hardware?

just read your sig nero, you are using the i.c.e. maybe you have better luck than i did in mounting it? what was your procedure, the one described on the shuttle instructions? thats what i used...

thanks guys you rock!

EDIT:
um my sig is way outdated and i cant change it because i dont have anything but free email. just so you guys know i still fold but i'm on the sn41g2 with 2000+

camus, I got my SN45G reburbished from newegg ($208 :D), so I didn't get a manual. All I did was apply a *thin* layer of thermal paste to the core, and place the ICE on top. I held it down in the middle (over the core) to keep it steady while I pushed in and turned one of the mounting screws to get it threaded. Once I got the first screw threaded just enough so that it held (not tightened @ all), I did the same thing to the screw in the opposite corner. Then I moved my way to the other 2 screws. Once they had all been threaded, I went in the same order (corner to opposite corner to even the pressure out), tightening each slightly with a screwdriver. I just kept repeating this process till the screws wouldn't tighten anymore. Then I placed the fan & shroud over the radiator and everything was good to go.

yeah well basically unless you are pretty much a tech/modding expert, you should not get a shuttle and do too extreme stuff...
i had one for a while, the PSU fried, then something overheated, then this, then that... spend 20 bucks on a regular case and im happy now without the little piece of crap.
Ritalin

Ouch Ritalin, did you try to RMA it or anything? I've had a few shuttle systems and except for a noisy fan on my SV25 that I had to replace they have been great.

The only mods I do to mine is cutting the back fan grill off and adding my own handle.

i got a sv24 when they first came out, lasted 6 months before the psu blew ~~~ rma thru shuttle was a pleasant experience but in the meantime hooked a full size atx psu outside (still have the new sv24 psu on a shelf) ~~~ whoever designed the inside of the sv24-25 ought to be shot, without the psu in place the airholes in front now work, then cut out the back fan grille and added a 60>80mm adapter + a panaflo l1a fan ~~~ noise manageable now and now a backup for my dualie ...... then i bought a new sv25 when they were dumping them when the p4 came out ~~~ can't leave it like it is, cut out the fan grille and went with the adapter and panaflo, used a 60mm coolermaster fan on a machined aluminum 40>60mm adapter on the stock psu to vent the heat out of the side of the case, and an enermax 3.5 fan controller in the floppy slot to control the added fans ~~~ still playing with this one, thinking scsi ;)

Nero said:
I'll be posting a full thread on my thoughts soon, put here is a pic of what I did to my SN45G to *dramatically* improve cooling:

http://www.publicconcept.com/images/forum_images/sff_case.jpg

As for your worry that a 5600 would run too hot, don't. I was able to run my 9800np->Pro overclocked even before I added the mesh side (albiet slightly slower).

Nice job nero! My shuttle/springdale should be here next week! I want to do a window mod to it as well...maybe even improve the cooling too.

Whether or not you do anything more besides the mesh window mod is are really all dependant on how much voltage you'll be running thorugh your processor. I knew from previous experiences with an 8RDA+ that my 2100+ needed 1.75v to run stable @ 2.3ghz, and I found that even with that voltage, the stock cooling on the shuttle wasn't good enough to run @ 200x11.5 stable. My 2100+ does 210x10 fine @ 1.6v (default) without any heat issues, but I didn't want to downgrade just because I moved into a smaller case ;). I'f you're running a 2.4c @ or around stock voltage, I doubt you'll need to do any mods (besides cut out the rear fan grill, that always helps).

yeah, I will be running a 2.4c and probably at stock voltage. I have found that voltage increase doesn't help this proc very much. So how many exctra degrees will the cut out fan grill help?

At *most* you're looking @ a 2C drop. Your temps may barely change @ all. But it's such a simple and easy thing to do that you might as well do it.

here are my mods. currently i have my 2500+ at 2.2 ghz using the icecooler. my temps are great too

new9700hsf.jpg

front.jpg

rearfan.jpg

top.jpg

very cool CrazyP. Do you have those ramsinks on both sides of the card? I ask because I'm got some slim Coolermaster ramsinks on mine (from when my 9800 had a ZM80C on it), and as small as they are, they're a *tight* squeeze with the TV-Tuner card I've got in the PCI slot.

yep, I have them on both sides. I dont have any problems with my tvwonder ve touching them either

Back