• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UV Dye and Coolant

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cupidr17

Okay, as I was paying for my anti freeze, a thought dawned upon me. Anti-freeze is green, and the UV dye I want to use will be orange/red. Which will be more dominant in color, the UV Dye or the antifreeze? Or will the colors simply mix to give me some ugly murky color?

If the colors mix, what would be a good "clear" alternative to antifreeze?

You should use about 10% antifreeze, 90% water. This mixture will be almost clear. The color of the UV dye should be the dominant color in the system.

10% AF makes my water a greenish tint. I use yellow hi-lighter though so it makes a bright yellow green. That greenish tint might alter the look of another color though...

umm....get NEW antifreeze! lol the new stuff isnt made of that glycol-cr@p, not as far as i know; and it is red! just what you wanted!

I dont like water wetter personally, I use Purple Ice. Gives a nice purple color and to me works better than water wetter which i have used as well.

WC101 tested purple ice to have weak anti-corrosion prevention, but then they tested with a piece of both aluminum and copper. How are your blocks holding out CGR? I was thinking of some purple water myself :D

so all there is is red and green anti-freeze? I have read somewhere that there are clear methanol/alcohol based additives that you can use. If so, do they offer the same performance?

Back