• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best value CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Venesectrix

I need a good AMD CPU which overclocks well and will cost less than $100 (including fan/heatsink). I've been leaning towards the XP 1700+ T-bred since I've seen on the CPU database that it overclocks really well, but is there a better/faster/cheaper CPU for lss than $100? Do Durons overclock better? Do I have to unlock the 1700+, or is there anything that makes it harder to overclock? Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

PS: I'm using a Shuttle AN35N motherboard if you need to know ;)

Barton 2500+ at NewEgg is on sale for about $90. Then you could get a cheap HSF from SVCompucycle for about $10 shipped.

depends on how much overclocking you will do.

if you won't overclock, then the 2500+ with stock heatsink will do. This can be found for $90 at Newegg.

if you plan on overclocking a lot, then something like a 1800+ with a very good heatsink (say a SK7 with a Smartfan 2) might be better. The 1800+ Tbred can be found at Newegg for just $51, and a SK7 with Smartfan2 will cost less than $39.

Last edited:
An AMD Duron (Applebred) is a real good value at only $38/$41 (1.4GHz/1.6GHz). With a L2 mod, it gets the same cache as a Thoroughbred-B (256KB) and is capable of getting 2-2.2GHz with a good HSF/good airflow.

An AMD Athlon XP 2000+ "Thorton" is also a good buy for $60-ish if you can find one. It needs a simple "connect 2 pins" mod to have a 512KB L2 cache, the same as a Barton. Although finding a online reseller that will sell one is hard right now.

Speed_Mechanic2 said:
An AMD Duron (Applebred) is a real good value at only $38/$41 (1.4GHz/1.6GHz). With a L2 mod, it gets the same cache as a Thoroughbred-B (256KB) and is capable of getting 2-2.2GHz with a good HSF/good airflow.

An AMD Athlon XP 2000+ "Thorton" is also a good buy for $60-ish if you can find one. It needs a simple "connect 2 pins" mod to have a 512KB L2 cache, the same as a Barton. Although finding a online reseller that will sell one is hard right now.

now i thought the applebread had the same chache as the tbred to begin with? huh i must have been mistaken.

anyways, yes the thorton, and 2500, and 1700 or 1800DLT3C and the apple bread durons are all great cpu's, i don tknow about how much the durons O/C but i sure know my 1700 overclocks like a bat out of he**! it also can go down to 1.0VCORE and put off 20 watts of heat :D

I'd go with the 1700 with a good stepping. The stepping in my sig is working great for me. Had it at 2.3ghz all summer even with the heat.

Probably most of the XP1700 have gone so it would seem the best bet is the latest XP1800's - although if you could just stretch it a bit the newest XP2500 Barton are overclocking really well and have the additional cache - especially good if you are into gaming.

Back