• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 2000 Pro - Page file

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

John Malachi

Registered
Can anyone direct me toward a good clearing-house for information on managing Win2kPro's virtual memory file? Specifically, I have more than enough memory to eliminate use of the page file altogether, yet Windows seems to disagree, and has even been so bold as to inform me (on occasion) that it is creating a temporary virtual memory file until such time as I capitulate and increase the allotted size of the file in Performance dialogue. Any help in convincing Windows to concede to a greater wisdom would be most appreciated.

Additionally, does the presence of a second physical HDD affect page file management policy?

Additionally additionally, can anyone direct me toward information on setting up a RAM drive from whence to run HDD-heavy applications, such as games that have to load levels or maps. I believe I noticed something along those lines in another thread nearby, but I've since lost track of the post.

—As a complete aside and violent derailing of the subject at hand, viewers might note this to be my first post on the forum: I've been reading the OC forums and site for about three days now, and frankly, it's all rather astounding. The two together represent an unbelievable wealth of information. My personal thanks and applause to you all, especially those who keep the two sites in operation.

Windows is pretty dumb regarding virtual memory. your best bet is to setup your page file on the first partition of your secod hard drive (if that drive is the master of its own ide channel), or to make a ram drive and move the page file insidfe the ramdrive (which is the best solution).

Which brings us gracefully to the final portion of my post: how to make a RAM drive. Or, since the answer is probably somewhere in this forum already, perhaps I should ask this: What's the best way to search this forum's archive for such information as "How to make a RAM drive?"

Pros and Cons

Why thank you, for the welcome, the link, and the instruction.

As to the link (and I quote): "vBulletin Message
Sorry you must have at least 100 posts to view threads in this forum."

And all of this reminds me... pros and cons:

1. Page file on first partition of Primary HDD (Primary IDE master).
Pros?
Cons?

2. Page file on a logical drive on Primary HDD.
Pros?
Cons?

3. Page file on a Secondary HDD (Primary IDE slave).
Pros?
Cons?

4. Page file on a Secondary HDD (Secondary IDE master).
Pros?
Cons?

5. Multiple page files on primary partitions of various physical drives?
Pros?
Cons?

6. Multiple page files on multiple partitions of one physical drive?
Pros?
Cons?

=========

Thank you to any further response this thread garners. I shall immediately go attempt a couple of searches of my own.

http://www.superspeed.com/

program is called ramdisk. The guy in the thread made a 300mb ram drive and used it for his page file and internet explorer cache.

Disks- you'd want it seperate form your OS, on the first partiton of the disk (its own partition), and if possible on a different ide cahnnel.

1) pro- faster disk access on the first partition of any disk, less fragmentation if its on in the OS partition
con- still on the same hdd as everything else so more seek time when swapping

2) same as above, but slower access becasue its not on the first partition

3) pro- on another hdd so no fragmentation of OS partition, but on the same ide channel as OS drive so no real benefit there

4) somewhat useful but really depends on how well its able to access both drives simultaneously. i've never tried nor seen any results of it. Could be slower because it has to access partition tables for all partitions involved

5) no real benefit, probably slower because it has to access partitions tables for all partitions involved. COuld have some improvement if accessing disks on the other ide channel

6) Same as #5. maybe slower becasue its all on the same disk as the OS.

:)

Be careful, becasue all the things you read here start to stick after awhile and before you know it, you'll be addicted to it, and become a computer guru.

For instant gratification and more praise from us OC'ers, head to our folding@home forum and join our team!

Back