• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reinstalling Windows w/o losing everything on other partition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mej468

I have a 15GB partition for mainly Windows and a 95GB partition for everything else. Last time I tried reinstalling Windows XP, I lost everything on the other partition. How can I reinstall it without losing all of the other stuff?

Do a repair installation.
Change your bios to boot from cd.
Insert your XP cd.
Boot up.
Follow the on-screen prompts to proceed with install.
The installation program will detect a previous installation and ask you if you want a fresh install or to repair existing install.
Choose repair.

Windows will reinstall all files without messing with your registry entries for the stuff you have on the other partition.

backing up your important data is very good advice.

but what exactly happened the other time?

it is highly unusual for you to lose all the data on the other partition.

were you upgrade to dynamic disk or something with the first installtion?

when you install Windows, that's all that it's supposed to do. Install.

unless you delete or format your existing partitions, it should not delete any files, unless it asks you whether you want to delete the previous installation inside the folder "WINDOWS" or "WINNT" and you say yes.

xtern said:
I've recently done this and my other partitions remained intact

I have done this many times, it has never deleted other partitions.
You must have re-partioned again. That is the only way you would lose the other partition.

BTW, you will also have to redo all the updates and SP1. Those are erased in the repair install.

Well, the answer is buckup!
If you really really need the data you lost, u can get an restoration app. Like "pc inspector file recovery" (its even free)

Back