• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

POWER5 with 144MB cache....DROOL!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice tile work. Though they should have been more careful when they fake something. Note in the lower right corner one of the 'bridges' is crooked. LOL. . . Cute pic tho

:D

I think the multi-chip Power4 used over 500W. IBM says the Power5 won't use any more power than that (and one would hope not). For mission critical servers I doubt that's got a simple HSF on top of it.

The photo is probably not faked, although it's entirely possible that's a mock-up of the multi-chip module instead of a sample. Those capacitor packs are usually stamped onto chip packages and boards very quickly. It's not unusual for them to be slightly out of alignment. If it were hand assembled then crooked cap packs are somewhat the norm.

Blah, old stuff. Cray has been putting 4 CPU dies and 4 cache dies on CPUs for years now. And no, a simple HSF does not do it for these - Cray was using a direct-die liquid spray on their CPUs... interesting stuff, how they use a collection trough to collect the condensed coolant and cycle it through the system again. Oh, and the cooling nozzles are sealed to the top of a CPU package with the same lug nuts that torque the CPU down onto its pin array - no sockets and standard heat sink setups for these bad boys!

Funny - the supposed Power5 picture looks a heck of a lot like one of the Cray modules, only Cray puts their dies' corners parallel to the edges of the packaging, as opposed to canted 45 degrees to the side...

Umm, sorry to break it to you all but that is not a fake. It is 100% genuine, although it probably has a dead chip or something since they are too valueble to just man-handle (they cost around $50000).

Actually, can those of you who said "fake" possibly explain how you came to that conclusion? That type of technology has been around for years...

On a different note, yeah it does look a lot like the Cray modules. My guess would be the rotation would be due to the type of cooling - the Crays use direct die phase-change (using Flurinert), which are sprayed on from the side, whereas the POWER5 uses air cooling, and so would want a larger, if less accessable, surface area.

Severian said:
Umm, sorry to break it to you all but that is not a fake. It is 100% genuine, although it probably has a dead chip or something since they are too valueble to just man-handle (they cost around $50000).

Actually, can those of you who said "fake" possibly explain how you came to that conclusion? That type of technology has been around for years...

On a different note, yeah it does look a lot like the Cray modules. My guess would be the rotation would be due to the type of cooling - the Crays use direct die phase-change (using Flurinert), which are sprayed on from the side, whereas the POWER5 uses air cooling, and so would want a larger, if less accessable, surface area.

the model below it is actually $375,000.000. That one is over a half a million a piece.

Foxie3a said:
yeah, compare CRAY to IBM.

Okay.

For this sector of business, why wouldn't Cray necessarily compete with IBM? They both are the same type of machine - Cray and IBM both produce machines to manipulate ginormous quantities of data. It's not like Crays are used only to simulate atmospheric conditions and IBMs only to play with databases all day... so I think a degree of competition does exist in this stratus of computing - just plain ole' supercomputing. IBM does it, Cray does it, and NEC does it, too.

Severian, thanks for remembering the fluid they use... I was trying to find the video that Cray had on their website about that whole process, but couldn't find it. One of the neatest videos I've ever seen...

Yes but the largest computers in world don’t use those expensive chips thy use more common ones. That makes it cheaper so thy can go bigger also there a lot more of the chips to by.

lclark2074 said:
Yes but the largest computers in world don’t use those expensive chips thy use more common ones. That makes it cheaper so thy can go bigger also there a lot more of the chips to by.

Check top500.com - only one (#3) of the largest supercomputers in the world uses 'common' CPUs - that is, Pentium-4 Xeons. The rest are pretty uncommon, unless you consider anything built by NEC, HP/Alpha, or IBM 'common.'

0.o flyingrat, right on man, saw that site a couple hours ago and remembered about the power5s and all and found this http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/pseries/news/pressreleases/2002/nov/asci_purple.html looks like a job for ibm and friends...and a big one at that. only 100 Teraflops just for ASCI Purple, which is just more than 2x as fast as the Earth Simulator in japan :rolleyes:, then theres the Blue Gene/L thats supposed to do 367 Teraflops :drool:. ...now only if they would run F@H for just for a few small little hours on there :burn:...

Back