• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying again.....I've hit the wall....help....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Michael_Myers

Ok, what you are about to read is TWO posts from me, in the mobo section.......you should be able to tell what part is first, and what post is second. Someone basicaly said "I need more info", So I posted more info. Thanks. Here goes:

Hi,
System specs:
Abit KT7a (non raid)
Duron 800 mhz
win98 os
I ONLY (so far) have used the option in the softmenu III
that lets you change the FSB of the CHIP itself. You select "User defined" and then the Cpu FSB multiple I have 18, which yeilds a 947Mhz reading according to sisoft. (about right)

18 x 8 = 144. 144 + 800 = 944.

I had to bump the voltage up to 1.85, AND I had to bump the I/O voltage to 3.60. Otherwise it won't post, and I have to clear the cmos.

This seems to be my "wall" that I can't get past. Any suggestions? I really don't won't to unlock the L1 bridges on the chip yet if I don't have to. Lemmm'e know what you think. Thanks

Ahhhhhhhhh
Well, using MOBO monitor, 5.07b, My temp readings are 38c cpu, 34c case, and 22c northbridge chip.

As for what I actually changed in the BIOS......
It was "CPU FSB PLUS (MHZ)"

On the Abit KT7a board. Instead of raising the FSB on EVERYthing in the pc, you are supposed to be able to just change the FSB of the CPU using the setting above, in 1mhz increments. I got as high as 18, (we have been through the math) and got a reading of 947 MHZ using sisoft. Using the default Voltage settings of 1.6, it would NOT post. Using 1.85 v AND a VIO of 3.6 (just because it "felt" right)
It posted fine, and I am up and running with the specs you currently have..........

RAM.......Micron, CAS 2, 1stick, 256 MB........

1 13 gig HD, 5400rpms............Viper 550 TNT card...

What else you need to know??? Thanks.

I responded to your other post. :)

Anytime you raise the 'system bus speed' , you do indeed increase not only the CPU's frequency, but your entire system's frequency..there is no way to separate the two.

If you are unable to boot the system up as per the parameters in my earlier response, you are going to have to connect the 'L1' bridges, and decrease the multiplier in order to take advantage of the additional memory bandwidth available at 133Mhz and above.

Then you need to experiment with multipliers, FSB speeds, and volatges to find the highest performing settings for your system.

I would suggest that if you cannot get into windows stably at 8*133= 1064Mhz try 1.85v or maybe a little less, that you'll need to gain multplier control in order to further experiment. It is certainly well worth the effort.

T

Megahurtz (Jun 22, 2001 06:22 p.m.):

Anytime you raise the 'system bus speed' , you do indeed increase not only the CPU's frequency, but your entire system's frequency..there is no way to separate the two.

If you are unable to boot the system up as per the parameters in my earlier response, you are going to have to connect the 'L1' bridges, and decrease the multiplier in order to take advantage of the additional memory bandwidth available at 133Mhz and above.

Then you need to experiment with multipliers, FSB speeds, and volatges to find the highest performing settings for your system.

I would suggest that if you cannot get into windows stably at 8*133= 1064Mhz try 1.85v or maybe a little less, that you'll need to gain multplier control in order to further experiment. It is certainly well worth the effort.

T

Actually you can change the fsb just on the processor. By using CPU / FSB Plus (Mhz). According to the Abit manual, "You can increase the CPU FSB here." But i would definatly recommend to change teh CPU FSB / PCI clcok instead. This will increase the overall performance of your computer a lot more than just increasing the processor. The problem that you are running into is that that is the fastest that the northbridge can handle. 133+18=151 Mhz. I think that that is remarkable that you even made it that far. So if you want anything better than that your have three choices. A) Increase the entire FSB instead of just the CPU FSB and you will get much better performance, but you will still have the same cpu clock speed that you currently have. B) Make no change at all and accept what you have C) Unlock the multiplier and then you will be able to take full advantage of the processor.

I learned something today. I'll let the Abit people field this sort of question from this point forward.

Thanks, Ferg!!

T

Megahurtz (Jun 22, 2001 07:17 p.m.):
I learned something today. I'll let the Abit people field this sort of question from this point forward.

Thanks, Ferg!!

T

No problem, I just felt like showing off my excessive Abit knowledge. What are you running Megahurtz? Asus? Iwill?

nice going! all you need to do now is unlock your processer and im sure your headed well over 1000 probably i have had mine at 7.5x140/33 with no problem i also have the kt7a.

Ferg (Jun 22, 2001 06:39 p.m.):
Megahurtz (Jun 22, 2001 06:22 p.m.):

T

Actually you can change the fsb just on the processor. By using CPU / FSB Plus (Mhz). According to the Abit manual, "You can increase the CPU FSB here." But i would definatly recommend to change teh CPU FSB / PCI clcok instead. This will increase the overall performance of your computer a lot more than just increasing the processor. The problem that you are running into is that that is the fastest that the northbridge can handle. 133+18=151 Mhz. I think that that is remarkable that you even made it that far. So if you want anything better than that your have three choices. A) Increase the entire FSB instead of just the CPU FSB and you will get much better performance, but you will still have the same cpu clock speed that you currently have. B) Make no change at all and accept what you have C) Unlock the multiplier and then you will be able to take full advantage of the processor.

Thanks Ferg, and to Megahurtz, I tried to tell you in my post that I changed the FSB of **CHIP** itself ONLY. I even went so far as to explain that on the Abit Board, you CAN do this. Did you not read that part? LOL :)
Anyways......Ferg, I trust your words but please clear up something for me.......It is my understanding that I am NOT running at 133/33.......On default setup, I am at 100/33........(I promise) The reason (as I understand it) Is that the Duron only runs at 100 FSB.

So please explain the northbridge chip thing again.....I don't understand the math at you arriving at 151mhz.
I get 118 mhz.........100+18= duh......
It's very possible I am an idiot....(my wife says so alllllll the time) :)

Thanks for your help guys........

Back